By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

This is a vase that i have just finished turning

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Les Hetherington12/01/2013 15:05:33
145 forum posts
53 photos

I was asked to get rid of a few maple tree stumps just before Christmas and turned this vase out of a bit of the maple that was spalted.

The vase is about 9" wide and 11" tall, your comments are welcome Les.new maple vase 1.jpg

new maple vase 2.jpg

Les Hetherington12/01/2013 15:16:01
145 forum posts
53 photos

I also turned a vase out of a lump of yew that i had laying around, all i have to do now is to keep it in a dry but not too warm place to dry as it was wet wood when i turned it. Lesnew yew vase.jpg

Les Hetherington12/01/2013 15:21:56
145 forum posts
53 photos

Another view of the vasenew yew vase 3.jpg

dennis wake12/01/2013 16:37:53
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

hi Les the vases are realy nice i hope that they dry out ok. dennis

Les Hetherington12/01/2013 20:03:33
145 forum posts
53 photos

Thanks dennis, i have been lucky with the vases that i turned from green wood as only a couple of them have cracked. I think a good coating in finnishing oil and leaving them in a cool dry place helps.

Les

dennis wake12/01/2013 21:26:43
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

hi Les that tip is a good one to know. i will have to try that one next time i turn green timber. dennis

Steve J W13/01/2013 19:23:28
137 forum posts
9 photos

a couple of cracking items les - i am thinking of selling my lathe as i have not got to grips with using it.

sad sam13/01/2013 20:54:47
606 forum posts
242 photos

hi les really nice vases well done

steve j w dont give in stick at it join a club if you can if not go on youtube and take in the beginners videos or checkout your local college there may be a course to suit you

dennis wake13/01/2013 21:06:46
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

i agree with Robby dont give in Steve . dennis

steve h13/01/2013 22:51:47
403 forum posts
128 photos

Very nice indeed Les,

I think you were pulling my leg a little earlier! (walnut bowl posting)

Steve

Les Hetherington13/01/2013 23:13:15
145 forum posts
53 photos

Thanks for looking and your kind words guys.

Steve you could try another lathe, i know that the more time that you put in to woodturning the better your turning will become. Well that's what i keep telling myself. My turning has gone down hill over the last year , a friend said that happens you blame your lathe then your tools then your self. he then said that one day you will be turning and it will all fall into place and your turning will pick up and get better.

I'm still waiting for my turning to get back to what it was, but as i get so much enjoyment out of woodturning i will keep at it.

I will be looking forward to your next bit of turning steve as you can't give up mate, as it's in your blood now.

Les

Les Hetherington13/01/2013 23:31:31
145 forum posts
53 photos
Posted by steve h on 13/01/2013 22:51:47:

Very nice indeed Les,

I think you were pulling my leg a little earlier! (walnut bowl posting)

Steve

Not at all mate, i'm still learning, working my way up from class c .

PS

When you turn your vase Steve leave the neck a little larger and stop the lathe to remove the shavings often. That way you won't trap the tool in the vase and break the vase with the tool spinning and hitting the tool rest. smiley ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

Steve J W14/01/2013 03:12:30
137 forum posts
9 photos

Les - i think you are one of the best turners i have come across and as i see you have only improved. - thanks all for your replies to my post, problem is - to be honest i think i need someone to show me how to use the tools, i have joined a club so maybe i will give it a bit longer, i do really enjoy turning and get great satisfaction from it, its just everytime i turn my tools just dig in whatever i seem to try.

Les Hetherington14/01/2013 07:48:52
145 forum posts
53 photos

Hi Steve J W are you using a crown bowl gage , if you are then you need to grind the wings off as they cause dig ins when you try to get round the bottom of the bowl.

Also we are learnt to turn with the tool rest or the tool at the centre hight of our work, that is ok for the outside of the bowl but you can set the tool rest lower for the inside of the bowl or higher than the centre line when hollowing deep forms so as to keep your cutting tool on the cenre line.

I have to go to work now and as i'm still learning to turn my self i will make a few posts on what i have found works for me.

PS

I'm glad that you are sticking with it Steve, i will send you a PM later mate, Les.

Derek Lane14/01/2013 16:47:37
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

Couple of great turning Les. I will get down to your place one day as I have been in hospital again but now back on track.

Steve practice practice and yet more practice also you will find out the best grind to use on tools that will suit you. And as been said before try and find a club and get some hands on experience with one of them.

And never be afraid to ask lots of questions

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Craft Supplies
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Robert Sorby
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact