By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Don't sneeze when turning

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Les Hetherington12/01/2013 14:54:30
145 forum posts
53 photos

Well that's what im going to tell people, it was a sneexe honest.

You get the shape and hollow it out then you try to get it just that litle bit thinner and one sneeze later all that hard work for nothing wink 2 ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page. it's just so wrong i tell you.broken vase 1.jpg

do you see the small crack?broken vase 2.jpg

how about now teeth 2 ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.broken vase 3.jpg

I think that i will try to leave it a little thicker next time Les

Steve J W13/01/2013 19:25:50
137 forum posts
9 photos

wowzers i bet that went with a bang, - i wonder if you could somehow use the broken part - think i would cut half of it away and sand it as if a broken pot that had been found on a shipwreck or field.

steve h13/01/2013 22:54:54
403 forum posts
128 photos

I agree with Steve, that's a big lump to come off the lathe Les!

Steve

Derek Lane14/01/2013 16:41:37
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

Could have been nasty Les hope it did not fly and do any damage. How about cleaning the base and reverse chucking the top and clean it up. Put a contrasting piece inbetween and return.

Les Hetherington14/01/2013 18:55:11
145 forum posts
53 photos

I think that you guys are thinking in the right direction, but for me i think that it's too far gone to try and revive it.

No damage to me Derek, except for my pride mate, i put the things that come off the lathe as a learning curve' most have been too large for the chuck or too unstabe. Many have been down to me as i went threw the side wall.laugh ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page. Les

dennis wake14/01/2013 21:18:48
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

hi Les how about recovering this by adding a bit of segmented rings to the vase. dennis

Les Hetherington14/01/2013 21:34:28
145 forum posts
53 photos
Posted by dennis wake on 14/01/2013 21:18:48:

hi Les how about recovering this by adding a bit of segmented rings to the vase. dennis

Your a better man than me dennis, i think that it's beyond my abillity to rebuild it mate. but now that you have said that i might have a go just to see if i can save it. Les

dennis wake14/01/2013 22:00:11
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

hi Les segmented turning is not that hard just takes longer than people think. have a look at some of my photos for ideas. i have done a demo on segmented turning and have the dvd of it if you need help. dennis

Les Hetherington14/01/2013 22:41:15
145 forum posts
53 photos

I will do that Dennis, but i don't have that much wood to play with as the vase is quite thin. I'm of the thinking that it might be better if i send it to you mate.wink 2 ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page. only joking, i will take a look at your photos and then take a second look to see if it's worth trying to save mate.

Many thanks for trying to help me dennis, Les

Bruce Rauncar16/01/2013 17:46:51
173 forum posts

It could have been another beautiful vase but I think a good turner like you can still rebuild it. Important are the lessons learned along the way and to still keep on turning. Good luck!

Les Hetherington16/01/2013 21:00:21
145 forum posts
53 photos

Thanks for the kind words Bruce, my lesson learned was not to make any more thin vases until the next time that i cut a vase in half. wink 2 ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page. Take care mate Les

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Triton
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tormek
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact