By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Walnut Bowl

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
steve h10/01/2013 10:07:33
403 forum posts
128 photos

Hello all,

This is my latest attempt at turning and is my submission for this weeks competition at my local club -

Your feedback is welcome - I already know about the slight dimple towards the centre - which I did not notice until I looked at the picture!

img-20130109-00358.jpg

img-20130109-00357.jpg

img-20130109-00356.jpg

dennis wake10/01/2013 16:19:30
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

hi Steve looks good to me. good look in the comp let us know how you do. dennis

Derek Lane10/01/2013 18:20:28
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

Good looking bowl just hope the judges miss it. Good luck all the same

Les Hetherington11/01/2013 07:53:11
145 forum posts
53 photos

Well turned Steve, it's a great looking bowl mate, i feel that you should have made the foot a little bigger to make it more stable and usable but that's me . Les

PS good luck in the competition mate

steve h11/01/2013 22:48:07
403 forum posts
128 photos

Thanks Dennis, Derek & Les,

we have two levels of turners in the club, A class and B class and I fall into the latter.

i did get third place but thought it would have done better - never mind! crying

there were no comments about the dimple or small foot either!

lets try again next month - a vase, never done one of those yet!

This is only my second year of turning, and after only just over twelve months with the club I am now treasurer and also made their website for them.

I will just have to try a little harder next time!

Steve

dennis wake11/01/2013 23:23:33
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

well done Steve. all you have to do is try and do your best and as long as you are happy with what you have turned and you have won . dennis

Les Hetherington12/01/2013 14:09:03
145 forum posts
53 photos

I agree with dennis, well done on your turning and on all you are doing for your club Steve and good luck on your vase mate. Les

PS

If i were in your club, i think that they would have to open up a class C. One for the most mistakes and blowouts.crying 2 ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

Steve J W14/01/2013 03:18:01
137 forum posts
9 photos

now that would be a great catagory for me les - lol - i would win all the time - our club doesnt run any comps and its rare anyone takes turnings in, i am sure you will be an asset to your club steve - a nice looking bowl, i like the detail you have put on the base. is that your signiture?

Simon Reeves14/01/2013 12:53:33
622 forum posts
227 photos

Looks good to me too Steve. I always find that getting a dead flat surface is one of the hardest things to do, 'specially with just a gouge. I tend to either (a) cheat a bit and use a large flat scraper, although you then have to watch out for torn grain, or (b) make the surface curved so you avoid the problem in the first place wink. Seriously though, I have one gouge (one of the first I ever bought) with a really long handle, that is ground at 65 degrees, just for getting to the bottom of deep(ish) bowls.

I also tend to finish the chucking recess a bit like you, with some decoration, although the purists would probably say that you should remove it altogether - not so easy on a large bowl if you cant bring up the tailstock for support, or you don't have a set of Cole jaws or something similar where you can reverse it safely.

Simon

Les Hetherington14/01/2013 18:34:12
145 forum posts
53 photos

Simon have you tried a glue gun, i have had good results on large bowls turning the foot of the bowl away with a glue chuck. I will post how i do it on another thread soon. To show people how i do it.

(I turned the foot off a bowl that is 3,1/2 high and 13,1/2" across yesterday using a glue chuck.)

You can also resand things using a glue chuck. Take care Les.

Derek Lane14/01/2013 18:54:16
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

Simon you could always make yourself a longworth chuck for reverse turning just google it and see what you come up with

Have a look at this http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=longworth%20chuck&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CEEQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.woodworkersguide.com%2F2010%2F10%2F17%2Fhow-to-make-a-longworth-chuck%2F&ei=d1T0UMOUJ6mK0AXn9IGYAg&usg=AFQjCNED6bWu3GD-m7SEVdXqyLtLNbqdYg

Edited By Derek Lane on 14/01/2013 18:55:21

Simon Reeves14/01/2013 20:55:27
622 forum posts
227 photos

Sorry Steve - hijacked your thread a bit here...

Thanks Les and Derek - good advice on both counts. I actually do reverse some of my stuff, and have used glue chucks (although mainly on smaller pieces) and Cole jaws in the past. I was really thinking that if you don't have the means, either bought or shop-made, it's not quite so easy, especially if the piece has an inward turning top surface. Les, I would be interested to see how large a piece you safely can do this with using a glue chuck.

I watched a turner at Yandles (his name escapes me I'm afraid), reverse turning a large diameter bowl just using just a flat piece of ply with some router matting stuck on it (mounted on a screw chuck), and the tailstock brought up for support. Worked perfectly, although of course he had to remove the very last piece of the support, only a few mm, by hand with a sharp chisel. He then proceeded to give the piece to a young lad who had been watching him make it from the start. You should have seen the look on the boy's face! A turner in the making if ever there was one...smiley

Les Hetherington14/01/2013 21:10:21
145 forum posts
53 photos

Yep i'm sorry too Steve, how are you getting on with the vase mate. Les

Bruce Rauncar16/01/2013 17:52:24
173 forum posts

There's always room for improvements. It is a great looking bowl by the way and I know that it's a winning piece. Keep it up!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Robert Sorby
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact