By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Circular saw - Table saw conversion Advice needed

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Carlos NWest08/01/2013 21:16:22
2 forum posts

I've purchased a load of cheap mahogany flooring but it's too thick to use and has a layer of bitchumen as well . Tried to convert it to thinner pieces on my bandsaw but it was very hard work and very slow.

Think a table saw would be a better option but I don't own one and from what I've read the cheap ones are a waste of space and don't have any spare cash at the moment.

Found some plans from a library book to convert my circular saw into a table saw. Good idea / bad idea ?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Doug08/01/2013 22:56:46
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Personally i stick with using the bandsaw with a good quality blade. Ian from Tuff saws is the bloke to ask about a suitable blade for the job in hand.

**LINK**

Cheers.

JohnP12/01/2013 17:51:47
1 forum posts

I have a Wolfcraft workbench which allows (amongst other things) the use of a circular saw as a table saw.

As you might imagine there are a number of compromises in such an arrangement, some are inevitable and others are made in order to give maximum flexibility and fit the maximum number of different tools (and you could avoid these).

The biggest issue is safety - if you want a tight clearance round the blade then the sprung guard of the saw will end up retracted and this can be very dangerous.

The top of the bench needs to be rigid but can't be too thick or you'll lose depth of cut.

You'll also need to hold the trigger of the saw down, but need a quick and safe way of switching it off.

There are some pictures of my table on my blog here which may give you some ideas: **LINK**

Hope this helps

John

Ron Davis13/01/2013 16:51:05
1608 forum posts
201 photos

Sounds like a new blade is in order, also a chek on the balde tension and all the guide bearings. A properly set up band saw should have no problems with a piece of mahogany of the thickness that you will be cutting.

What size is your saw, a low powered one might struggle.

Ron

Carlos NWest13/01/2013 19:20:20
2 forum posts

My Bandsaw is almost brand new and it's a Scheppach Basato 1 ( 300W, 0.41 hp motor) still with the original blade. I've only used it for one job before the flooring and that was a pine stand / mayan temple style thingy to lift my monitor a foot off my desk to help my neck.

Thanks for all the feedback, will def try a new blade before trying to make anything for my circular saw.

Doug13/01/2013 23:07:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

There`s a piece of advice I was given when I first got a bandsaw & that was always throw away the blade that comes with a new saw.

It`s good advice as both of the bandsaws I`ve bought have had very poor blades supplied with them & they were both different makes.

Cheers.

gerald meager21/01/2013 15:34:29
85 forum posts
2 photos

I´ve done this before I bought a whole gymnasym floor about 10-12 years ago and had the same problem

mine was an old teak floor not realy much usful stuff once I´d sliced it down and planed it but I had a huge pile of "come in handy!!!!!!all now been used up on small project like boxes etc So I´m afraid band saw , plane blood sweet and tears only. The key was a new GOOD bandsaw blade.

Ged Meager

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Tormek
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact