By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Cancellation of subscription

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Newbie_Neil04/01/2013 11:03:08
43 forum posts

Hi all,

After many happy years I am disappointed to say that I have today cancelled my subscription to GWW.

This was due solely to GWW re-printing a Steve Maskery article, in the current issue, without him receiving a payment at the time of the re-print.

Thanks,

Neil

Edited By Newbie_Neil on 04/01/2013 11:04:09

Dennis Potter04/01/2013 13:31:41
3 forum posts

I thought good woodworking never reprinted old articles. I will not be buying another copy if that is the case. And if they are not paying contributors either, well how long can that go on?

Roger Provins 105/01/2013 06:22:05
9 forum posts

It's not the first time articles get reprinted in this or other magazines. I think the publishers are very shortsighted as regular readers will soon spot them.

Unless we get some assurances it won't be happening again in the future I will not renew my subscription.

Roger

New Brit Workshop05/01/2013 07:49:03
11 forum posts

I have written for many magazines over the years and the only time that I was paid for any reprint of an article was when it was published in a different magazine. Writers should be well aware that once their article is published they relinquish the copyright of both the words and the photographs.

Peter

Ron Davis05/01/2013 16:41:15
1619 forum posts
201 photos

I am glad I am not a magazine editor. Thinking up new stuff every month must be a headache. Reprinting an old article , if it has relevance today, does not seem a bad idea. It needs to be aknowledged though, both the author and the date of the original item

Ron

Roger Provins 105/01/2013 16:49:28
9 forum posts

It's a bad idea for the subscription readers like me as we have seen it before and don't need it again. With this month's issue I feel I've been short changed.

Doug05/01/2013 20:43:06
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Posted by Peter Parfitt on 05/01/2013 07:49:03:

I have written for many magazines over the years and the only time that I was paid for any reprint of an article was when it was published in a different magazine. Writers should be well aware that once their article is published they relinquish the copyright of both the words and the photographs.

Peter

I understood that the publishers only had copyright for 6 months, after that the copyright reverted to back to me, in which case a reprint after 6 months needed my permission.

cheers.

Doug

Newbie_Neil09/01/2013 09:53:40
43 forum posts

Peter,

It seems really strange when the publisher and editor get paid, but the author doesn't.

Also, the poor old customer has paid twice for the same article.

Cheers,

Neil

New Brit Workshop10/01/2013 18:53:14
11 forum posts

Every contract is different but it does pay to read the small print.

Peter

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact