By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

ebonized and gilded turning

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
dennis wake11/12/2012 19:04:25
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

after talking to Les Thorn at harrogate show and reading about ebonising and gilding i had to have a try. so purchased the required spray and gilding past. the first that i tried was just a simple bud vase in ash. the shape wasn't exactly what i wanted but for this first time i think it turned out rather well.

burnished clock 009.jpg

the gold cream really sets the grain up.

the apple was also just a trial and not very good but need to just do a little bit of thinking as to how to cover the apple in the one go.

burnished clock 011.jpg

and finally i had to have a go at the clock that i had just begging me to be fitted to a bit of timber.

burnished clock 008.jpg

this photo dosent really show the burnishing cream to good. the timber here is beech so i textured it in places.

burnished clock 006.jpg

this is a better view of the back .

burnished clock 004.jpg

all comments welcome

Derek Lane11/12/2012 21:25:23
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

Well done Dennis love the ebonised look. You certainly made a great job of it, especialy the clock.

I have tried it using wire wool and vinigar but only on oak as it has plenty of tannin

Oddjob12/12/2012 11:21:53
1635 forum posts
79 photos

Lovely stuff Dennis. It is something I have never tried - perhaps maybe now I will. Any advice on where to get the material?

Richard

Doug12/12/2012 17:08:59
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Posted by Oddjob on 12/12/2012 11:21:53: Any advice on where to get the material?

Richard, most artists supplies shops sell gilding wax in many colours, I get mine for around £6 a tube.

I tend to use spirit stain first, apply the wax & then clean it off with a citrus based oil like lemon oil.

This works best on open grained timber like oak or ash, you can use an ebonising spray as a base but I find it too dark, which is why I prefer the spirit stain base as it allows the wood to show through more.

Cheers.

dennis wake12/12/2012 23:23:42
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

hi All

thank you for your comments. Richard i got my gilding past from chestaton finishes they do it in gold silver and copper or bronz. they were about £9 and the ebonizing spray is about £10 i think.

they advise you seel the timber with sandsealer first to stop the ebonizer from soaking in to the wood.

dennis

Paul Bodiam13/12/2012 17:39:35
109 forum posts
68 photos

Dennis

I love the effect you've achieved here; for me, the ash vase is a real winner.

I'm putting ebonizing spray and gilding paste on my list for Father Christmas.

cheers

Paul

Bruce Rauncar02/01/2013 20:11:48
173 forum posts

I really like the ebonized effect of the wood here. I especially love dark finished furnitures. I am inspired to turn anything to ebony. Looks amazing behind a white backdrop. Great technique and work here!

dennis wake02/01/2013 22:13:24
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

thank you for your comments. dennis

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Triton
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tormek
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact