By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Plunge or Table Saw

Purchasing advice please

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Pete Rawlings27/11/2012 17:38:37
2 forum posts

I have a really crappy table saw (cheap one from B&Q years ago) and fed up to the back teeth with it. I want something for cabinet making - so need to cut accuratley and sometimes large panels as well. I have a small shop so ....

Having just read articles about using Plunge Saws used up against a fence this look very versatile. Would it be better getting one of these than a table saw? Would it get more use?

I have even been thinking of the Festool Combo module , where you can use a plunge saw as a Table Saw as well. Very expensive so I want to get this right.

Should I go for Steel Bed Table Saw and all the advantages that will bring OR do I invest in the Festool type approach .

I used to be decisive , now I'm not sure ......dont know

Doug28/11/2012 09:21:24
3415 forum posts
35 photos

A track saw will give you far more accuracy £ for £ than a table saw & take up far less space.

£500 will set you up with a top quality saw, track & accessories be that Festool or Mafell, for that same amount of money you would only get a very basic table saw.

Since buying a TS55 tracksaw I`ve moved my table saw out of the workshop as it was getting so little use. I would add I do have a bandsaw to cover the cutting a tracksaw wont do, that said a 75mm depth of cut track saw would give equal depth of cut as most cheap table saws.

The biggest plus for me is cutting sheet materials, it is so much easier to pass a light power tool over a heavy board than try & accurately push a heavy board through a table saw.

Cheers.

Pete Rawlings28/11/2012 16:26:43
2 forum posts

This re-enforces my way of thinking now thank you. smiley

Roger Provins 129/11/2012 06:14:21
9 forum posts

For primary sizing of large boards a track saw will be much cheaper (and much smaller) than a table panel saw. But apart from that a good table saw will be much more useful and accurate in cabinet making. Sizing, jointing, rebating, grooving, mitering, dados etc. Nice to have both of course.

Big Al29/11/2012 07:23:55
1604 forum posts
73 photos

I agree with roger, I use my table saw more than any other machine in my workshop. I work mainly with hardwood, and only use a small amount of sheet materials.

Al

Simon Reeves29/11/2012 13:03:37
622 forum posts
227 photos

I'm with Roger and Big Al too - a table saw would probably be more useful generally, but it depends on your exact requirements. If you're only going to cut large boards occasionally (or even if you just cut them roughly to size as Roger says), I would use a circular saw with a fine blade up against a good straight edge, followed by more precise trimming on the table saw.

I had some 2" thick polystyrene foam sheeting left over from a job, which does a great job of supporting full sized boards for rough cutting on the shop floor. I then do everything else on the table saw.

Simon

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Robert Sorby
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact