By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Urgent help !!!!

need to convert m3 in linear meters

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Luca Cairoli14/11/2012 14:20:15
4 forum posts

Hello guys!

I really need your help. It's about to convert cubic meters to linear (running) meters. I attach quick sketch...You can see it here

**LINK**

In case we have rectangular section it's easy. As shown in case A 1:0,072:0,086 = 161,50 running meters in 1 m3.

Can anyone kindly explain how to do it in case B where section is L shaped???

It's really urgent.

I thank you everyone in advance for your help!

Regards,

Luca

Wullie Shields15/11/2012 09:57:00
27 forum posts

Hi

just calculate volume of each rectangle and add together

willie

Derek Lane15/11/2012 16:38:31
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

If this is for a project then there are a couple of things to take into consideration

1; Are you buying rough saw

2; I presume that you will be machining into the L shape

So to work it out what are the rough sawn measurements then work out as in the first instance and the same applies if you are machining work out from the square/rectangle shape

Hope this makes sense. Like most projects always allow for waste and also give yourself extra to allow for saw cuts and knots etc

Luca Cairoli16/11/2012 08:21:00
4 forum posts

Hello guys.

Thank you for your reply.

I will buy the wood already L shaped. I have been given price in eur/m3 but I would like to get it (BY MYSELF) in eur/rm.

I would really like to see how to calculate it.

I was thinking:

1) to consider anyway the biggest cross section at to calculate as 1 : (0,098x 0,064) = 159,44 running meters

2) to consider the real cross section (0,047 x 0,047) + ( 0,064 x 0,051) = 0,005473 and then 1 : 0,005473 = 182,71 running meters.

Is one of this correct? If not examples with numbers are very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance to everyone!

Luca

Oddjob16/11/2012 13:39:52
1635 forum posts
79 photos

Hi Luca

2) is correct

Richard

Ivor the engine17/11/2012 07:12:07
270 forum posts
46 photos

Well done Richard I would not know how to, you have my admiration,

Take care,

Ivor.

Woody Al17/11/2012 11:49:11
98 forum posts

Does anyone know of any good articles on calculating cubic footage / meterage?

Julian17/11/2012 12:24:12
553 forum posts
28 photos

Hi Woody -- Now there is a subject in it's own right for one of the magazines. Don't forget to add the waste to the figure, this will be different for each type of wood you use and the project. I can remember my first out door project when I was in school, it was in green oak and my woodwork teacher told me to expect 50% waste on a garden chair project. I didn't belive him, that's far too much he just wanted to sell more wood ! He was correct of course.

daveO17/11/2012 15:28:02
250 forum posts
32 photos

Hi woody

not quite sure what you mean by articles, but if its the conversion factor fot cubic feet to cubic metres you want then try www.metric-conversions.org for that or any other calculation

Dave

Big Al17/11/2012 15:34:00
1602 forum posts
73 photos

To work out cubic feet, multiply the length (in inches), by the width (in inches), by the thickness (in inches), and then divide by 1728.

Not sure about cubic metres.

Al

Woody Al17/11/2012 16:42:36
98 forum posts

Thanks lads. That should keep me busy for while!

Luca Cairoli21/11/2012 09:10:11
4 forum posts

Hello everyone.

TO Oddjob. I was exactly doing as you suggested but in 2 cases values given by seller were different.

1 seller was giving rm considering anyway the biggest cross section (rectangular) no matter if shape is L or T.

2 seller was giving me rm with a values that is not calculating from any of the 2 options I was thinking about.

thinking Any Idea???

Regards (and I apologize if I am making this thread too boring!)

daveO21/11/2012 17:05:09
250 forum posts
32 photos

Luca

in case one : the seller was calculating from the rectangle to compensate for off cuts of which are no good to him.

in case two: the seller was probably calcuating from rough sawn timbers ( thats why the calcs dont add up) but again he was compensating for off cuts and wastage.

This is what Derek was pointing out to you earlier in the thread

Hopr that helps

Regards

Dave

P.S. by the way welcome to the forum and no the thread is not boring- we are all here to try and help each other

Luca Cairoli23/11/2012 16:05:14
4 forum posts

Hello Dave,

thanks for the clarification and for the welcome! I thank all members who replied to my thread.

I still wonder which type of calculations you should use in case 2 --- > = in case two: the seller was probably calcuating from rough sawn timbers ( thats why the calcs dont add up) but again he was compensating for off cuts and wastage.

Thank you in advance and I wish a great weekend to everyone!

Luca

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
D&M Tools
Tormek
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact