By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Ash die back

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
mark griffiths26/10/2012 16:37:48
4 forum posts

Can somebody tell my why we are importing disease ridden Ash saplings when a third of our native woodland is Ash?

notesfromawoodworker.blogspot.co.uk

gerald meager26/10/2012 19:37:56
85 forum posts
2 photos

because we haven´t got the sense we were born with and because as we loose the millions of native ash trees the timber will become very expensive and who will make all the dosh??????Maybe the self same importers

Oddjob26/10/2012 19:51:46
1635 forum posts
79 photos

Presumably what your are referring to is the fungus Chalara fraxinea?

"Disease ridden" is a bit of an overstatement. There have been a few recorded instances of infected trees being imported and there is the potential for a serious problem but there isn't one yet.

The answer to your question is largely political and an open Internet forum is perhaps not the best place to address it.

However, briefly, this is just one more problem resulting from our membership of the EU and the recession. The Forestry Authority which used to control plant imports quite effectively is no longer able to do so thanks to staff cuts and the so-called "common Market" rules. The Plant Health Passport system simply doesn't work.

Whilst, like you, I am concerned about plant diseased being imported due to lack of control, we do have other "import" problems that should cause you greater concern.

Richard

Edited By Oddjob on 26/10/2012 19:52:28

Ron Davis27/10/2012 17:55:55
1619 forum posts
201 photos

I have spotted four trees with this disease, along a disused railway line used as a place to walk the dog.

I have reported this to the Forestry Commission, I will be interested to see what they do about it.

If you see one then report it to the Forestry Commission or the Woodland Trust, I took some photo's and gave the map reference, by looking it up on Google earth,

This funghi is new so it may be possible to do something about it before it gets a real hold.

Ron

John Aitken06/11/2012 20:28:14
1 forum posts

Just for information I have started an online petition on the .gov website.

The address is http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/41223

Best regards

John

The Bowler Hatted Turner

steve h08/11/2012 07:45:17
403 forum posts
128 photos

It sounds like something you are very knowledgeable about Richard??

Been sharpening your knife recently?wink

Steve

Bill Irvine08/11/2012 12:34:43
1 forum posts

I am a pensioner with three mature ash trees in my garden. If they catch ash dieback will I be responsible for their disposal? I cannot affordsuch costs. Does anyone know who will be liable for the cost? Could the wood still be used or must it be burned?

Bill

Oddjob09/11/2012 07:54:15
1635 forum posts
79 photos

Steve, I 'm not "knowledgeable" about the disease but I do have some experience of the Forestry Authority and the Plant Health Passport procedures. Neither work as they were intended to!

Bill, I don't understand why being a pensioner might be relevant. In the event of your trees dying, from whatever cause then you will be responsible for dealing with the situation. It is no different than it would be if the trees died of other natural causes. You're not suggesting that the taxpayers might be responsible are you?

I can find nothing to suggest that the timber should not be used for woodwork applications other that the possibility of some staining of the sapwood.

As they say around here, "Don't worry, it might never happen!"

Richard

Oddjob09/11/2012 08:05:23
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Posted by John Aitken on 06/11/2012 20:28:14:

Just for information I have started an online petition on the .gov website.

The address is http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/41223

Best regards

John

The Bowler Hatted Turner

John, I support your view that we should have tighter controls of imports of plants and seeds but I'm afraid that your petition will fail miserably without some considerable beefing up, improved presentation and publicity. It only has 74 signatures so far!

There are already rules and procedures in place that, if they worked, would provide all the control necessary. Unfortunately, for reasons I've referred to in another post, they do not work.

Richard

Joe O 308/10/2013 00:34:38
203 forum posts

I have to report that the Department of Agriculture here in Ireland has confirmed the first case of the disease in a native Irish tree has been found

96 cases were found since last October.all in imported trees which have since been destroyed.

However a 97th case has been found in a hedgerow close to but outside the location of the first out break last year.

All Ash trees in a 250m radius of this outbreak are being cut down and burnt.

This is a worrying turn of events.

Joe.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Wood Workers Workshop
Craft Supplies
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact