Chaise Longue

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
steve h09/10/2012 13:11:05
403 forum posts
128 photos

Good day all -

I was wondering if any of you have got any plans for a chaise longue -

(I was hoping to make one for crimbo for my better half - she has only been asking for one for the last two years!)disgust

I have scoured the internet and have come up with zilch!

Any plans or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Steve

Edited By steve h on 09/10/2012 13:11:49

Big Al09/10/2012 19:34:18
1601 forum posts
73 photos

Hi Steve, good woodworking published a special titled, the big book of projects, on paige 98 there are plans for a sun lounger, there are a few on ebay, click here to goto one of them.

Also in 2008, practical woodworking published a garden projects magazine, it is a much simpler lounger, nut there is one in there.

The new yankee workshop made one once, they have the plans for sale on their web site, it may be worth looking at.

Al

steve h10/10/2012 13:11:10
403 forum posts
128 photos

Thanks Al -

The New Yankee workshop one is a sun lounger and I am refering to the more traditional French style chaise with the upholstery work - and no - I am not taking up needlework as well!

All the plans I have ever seen refer to the garden style chaise -

Sorry Al - is the book that you have linked a garden style one, as there is little info about the book out there - will probably buy it anyway.

Anyone??

Thanks

Steve

Edited By steve h on 10/10/2012 13:31:11

daveO10/10/2012 16:19:14
250 forum posts
32 photos

Sorry steve

my disc only shows one at about 850mm long and is actually a carving project

other than that its the garden syle that Al refers to

Dave

Big Al10/10/2012 18:02:15
1601 forum posts
73 photos

Sorry Steve I thought that you were refering to the garden style lounger's, and that is what is in the big book of projects.

Al

steve h10/10/2012 18:47:43
403 forum posts
128 photos
Bought it anyway Al, its always nice to have something new to read!
Its strange that you can get plans for everything else?

Steve
tonyone17/10/2012 17:32:11
7 forum posts

Hi Steve,

I have made lots of chaise logues in my time I ran a business making frames for upholsterers , sofas chairs stool and chaisies. I have still got my patterns for a full size chaise , you need some turned legs ( might even have 4 of those in the wokshop somewhere). Thing is I don't know how this helps you cos you will need the patterns to draw around, any ideas.

Regards Tony.

steve h18/10/2012 07:30:58
403 forum posts
128 photos

Hello Tony -

Have you any pictures of the frames made up prior to being upholstered?

Sizes, like length and width I can get off the internet by looking at new ones, its the structural frame I want to see - how they get the curve shaped back and the wooden structure to support that.

I saw three old re-upholstered chaise's at the weekend by pure coincidence and they wanted 1K each for them -

The base frame looks relatively easy and the choice of having a turned or more modern shaped leg and or having the side support part wood part upholstered?

I also presume Tony that when ones that have wood coming/showing on the sides of the back rest, these are mainly design niceties as oppose to being structural?

Any pictures you have at all would really help????

Thanks

Steve

daveO18/10/2012 16:30:54
250 forum posts
32 photos

Hi tony

I know this might sound daft but could you not draw round the templates on to paper and then post them to steve? I'm Mrs H would be grateful after all she has alresdy waited two years for thiswink

Dave

tonyone18/10/2012 20:28:03
7 forum posts

Hi DaveO

Of course , why didn't I think of that ? I will look through my photo's and see what I can find if not I can draw you something and post it along with the paper templates.

Tony

steve h19/10/2012 07:21:20
403 forum posts
128 photos

Thanks Dave for your suggestion -

Tony, that would be extremely kind of you, if you could send me a personal message I will email you back with my address -

I will then post my progress on here so everyone can see me trials and tribulations!

Thanks

Steve

paul wagstaffe20/10/2012 20:54:15
107 forum posts
11 photos

I saw an episode of "The Salvager" Rico made a chaise longue out of an old car, just an out of the box idea!

Regards Paul

tonyone25/10/2012 22:10:28
7 forum posts

Hi Steve

Sorry for the delay I had an accident in the workshop a few days ago. Been in their all day then came out for some tea about 6 then went back in about half seven just to do a bit more sanding. It's always the same , at the end of the day when your tired and not thinking straight. I had been using the 4 inch belt sander alot during the day , I picked it up and pressed the trigger it started but the belt had jammed some how, so I took my finger off the trigger and instead of using a stick to give the belt a nudge I used my fingers!!!!!??? Suprising how much skin and flesh an 80 grit belt can take off in a short while , so I have four fingers bandaged up on my left hand.

However I have done you a couple of drawings as I can't find a picture ,I will draw around the template s over the weekend and get them posted to you. I assume you have an upholsterer in mind, he will be able to advise you on thicknesses of foam and any additional rails he may want in but you should be OK with the ones I've drawn. If you have any problems just give me a pm and I will try and help.

Regards Tony.

steve h26/10/2012 07:19:51
403 forum posts
128 photos

Sorry Paul - did not know what the salvager was until last night!!

steve h26/10/2012 07:27:52
403 forum posts
128 photos

Very sorry to hear about your accident Tony -

Tiredness is always an issue - I should know, as a hobby woodworker I often do not get in the shed until after 7:30 and often work through till after 11:30 - and getting up at 06:15 everyday takes it toll at some point.

I am having a few days off next week with the family so may not get all my messages straight away - but please do not rush on my account -

The fact that I will be starting before Christmas is a major 'brownie point', again, PLEASE do not feel compelled to do it straight away, recouperate first!

Thank you again,

Steve

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact