By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Some 'real wood' finally

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mailee02/10/2012 20:15:28
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

Well I have finally got another 'real wood' job. I have made a start on the oak computer desk for one of my clients. Not much to show at the moment apart from some proper wood
dscn3024.jpg
The Oak not the Pine. :lol:
and starting to machine it up
dscn3025.jpg
and a glue up for the legs
dscn3023.jpg
I hope to get the rest of the wood machined up tomorrow and start on the legs and frame. I will of course keep you all posted as usual. :D
Ron Davis03/10/2012 19:35:52
1619 forum posts
201 photos

Good one Mailee, nice to see that I am not the only one with scorch marks on the end of a bit of oak. Promted me to take my blade in for a sharpen
Ron

Mailee03/10/2012 20:57:58
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

Yes Ron, i now need to renew the blade on my RAS and SCMS after cutting all that maple on the last job!

Well I really got cracking today and managed to get the frame in a dry fit
dscn3026.jpg
The tennons need a little fettling and the legs still need some work but not a bad days work considering I also got all the planks for the top milled up.
dscn3027.jpg
By the end of the day, (well evening really) I had the top in a glue up but didn't get any pics of it.
Derek Lane03/10/2012 21:32:49
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

Now why did you go and use real wood should have used oak vaneered mdf I have a better use for thatdevil.

Seriously Mailee I bet it feels good to use some real wood for a change. And it is coming along great

Ivor the engine04/10/2012 00:35:55
270 forum posts
46 photos

Hi! Mailee, You must have a lot of confidence like I did to transform a customers dream into a real thing having the vision to see what they want the real hard part was working out the price it was impossible to price up everything as you were thinking through what to use with regards materales, fittings, ect, my only thought at the time was to get the materales get back to the workshop and start work nothing else mattered my family life suffered while this was going on as I knew in the back of ones mind one was spending more time than one quoted for but one had to go on because you got a lot of satisfaction when you delivered and fitted said item even when you new the money you got never covered the actual costs but you were pleased more than pleased and if told anybody they would not understand because I hope like me you got more pleasure out of making it than the money, I put it to you like giving birth if you can understand what I mean, another work of art a part of one self,

I could go on Mailee, creation is a good thing but like me one looks back over the years at all the works of art I you have made and they were but as I did not have the right name you know the rest,I often think every job I made was part of me and one day I would call them all in,

I hope you know what am trying to say,

All the best for the future,

Take care,

Ivor,

I have put a lot into this.

Edited By Ivor the engine on 04/10/2012 00:39:22

Mailee04/10/2012 21:05:09
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

I know exactly what you are saying Ivor, I do feel the same way but find that I have to simplify some of the projects to build the more quickly to make sure I can earn a living. No matter how much I love the work the bills still have to be paid. disgust

Anyway after a lot of sanding today I got the frame in a glue up:
dscn3028.jpg
I have added the drawer dividers and cross brace to the frame now too.
Then I cut the top to dimensions and added the bread board ends, finally giving it all a good sanding. (I am sick of sanding now)
dscn3029.jpg
My next job is to start on the drawers and the frame work for the drawer box which will fit below the right hand side.
Wullie Shields05/10/2012 14:44:16
27 forum posts

Hi

Its funny how you never get tired of looking at craftsmanship

wuliie

Mailee05/10/2012 20:09:16
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

Thanks Wuliie, you are too kind.
I made and fitted the buttons to hold the top on today.
dscn3032.jpg
I then got on with making the smaller drawer boxes that will sit just under the top.
dscn3033.jpg
I am waiting for some veneered MDF to arrive for the drawer chest so made the smaller drawer fronts and couldn't resist trying them in place.
dscn3035.jpg
Mailee06/10/2012 19:03:35
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

Made a start on the drawer unit today. I haven't got the veneered MDF yet but thought I would build the frame for it. Using the table saw and spindle moulder I cut all of the frame parts.
dscn3036.jpg
It is now ready for the veneered MDF when it arrives.
dscn3037.jpg
I am having a day off on Monday so that's it for a couple of days for now. :D
Oddjob07/10/2012 17:43:32
1635 forum posts
79 photos

That is looking great Alan. You make these jobs look so easy but I do appreciate the amount of thoght and work you put into them. I guess your clients do too as they obviously keep you busy.

Richard

steve h09/10/2012 13:16:31
403 forum posts
128 photos

Always enjoy looking at your work Mailee - if only--------------?

David Nevin09/10/2012 14:15:45
57 forum posts
26 photos

Mailee where did you get your oak from please still looking for some to match my oak I have for the dinning room table I am making

Regards

David

Mailee09/10/2012 20:40:23
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

Thanks guys, your too kind. This Oak was from Arnold Laver Timberworld David. Quality is usually good and the price is reasonable too.

Mailee10/10/2012 19:45:07
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

Been pretty busy today on the Oak desk. I got the main frame and top in a sealer coat and started work on the drawers now the runners had arrived. I got them fitted eventually as they took a bit of fiddling about to get them to operate smoothly.
dscn3045.jpg
dscn3044.jpg
Once they were all fitted I made the drawer boxes for the drawer unit.
dscn3046.jpg
More sanding tomorrow and I shall start to assemble the drawer unit.
Mailee11/10/2012 20:21:42
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

I got the veneered panels today and cracked on with the drawer unit. I had already cut the parts so it was a simple matter of assembling it.
dscn3048.jpg
By the end of the day I had the unit in place below the desk. It will now be removed again to give it a finish.
dscn3047.jpg
I used my usual soft close runners for these which were much easier to install than the ball bearing jobbies of the top ones.
I have also used the Hambridge progression for the drawers on this unit.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
D&M Tools
Tormek
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact