By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Chuck Advice

Dakota Scroll Chuck

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Older Beginner01/10/2012 17:34:34
5 forum posts

Does anyone know what the Dakota Precision Scroll Chuck is like? There is one on offer in the Rutlands Catalogue, but I don't want to purchase it until I have heard a few people's opinions so would appreciate hearing from anyone who has some experience of them. Thanks

Derek Lane01/10/2012 18:45:05
3204 forum posts
990 photos

Not heard of many people that have brought this chuck. Mostly the people that I have spoken to tend to have some of the better known names like Robert Sorby patriot chuck, and Axminster chucks both of which get good reviews and also a range of jaws. Some other members may have their own preferences.

Personally I own a patriot chuck and find it very good as If I change lathes it is easy just to go out and buy a new insert. I have 2 inserts one 3/4"*16 and 1"*8 that way I can put the same chuck onto whichever lathe I want to use

John Kinch01/10/2012 19:16:32
206 forum posts
91 photos

I have one of the chucks from Dakota and the extra jaws, all work fine without any problems. John K.

sad sam01/10/2012 19:20:25
588 forum posts
229 photos

hi there

i have a dakota scroll chuck which i bought from rutlands on advice from an old woodworkers monitor

called sparky wonderful buy never had a problem it is used daily and i have had it about 3 years now

i believe there was an offer on at the time and it was about £50

hope this helps

Older Beginner02/10/2012 05:29:03
5 forum posts

Thankl you all, I appreciate your letting me know your feelings on this and am happy to know that it is a reasonable if not good option. Especially considering the offer price.

Simon Reeves02/10/2012 13:22:50
622 forum posts
227 photos

Just a thought, but there was some discussion on the forum about Dakota chucks a while back. If you enter the keyword "Chuck" in the search box and look at "which chuck should i get "i am at confused dot com" you'll see a few comments.

Simon

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Tormek
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact