By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Chuck Advice

Dakota Scroll Chuck

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Older Beginner01/10/2012 17:34:34
5 forum posts

Does anyone know what the Dakota Precision Scroll Chuck is like? There is one on offer in the Rutlands Catalogue, but I don't want to purchase it until I have heard a few people's opinions so would appreciate hearing from anyone who has some experience of them. Thanks

Derek Lane01/10/2012 18:45:05
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

Not heard of many people that have brought this chuck. Mostly the people that I have spoken to tend to have some of the better known names like Robert Sorby patriot chuck, and Axminster chucks both of which get good reviews and also a range of jaws. Some other members may have their own preferences.

Personally I own a patriot chuck and find it very good as If I change lathes it is easy just to go out and buy a new insert. I have 2 inserts one 3/4"*16 and 1"*8 that way I can put the same chuck onto whichever lathe I want to use

John Kinch01/10/2012 19:16:32
206 forum posts
91 photos

I have one of the chucks from Dakota and the extra jaws, all work fine without any problems. John K.

sad sam01/10/2012 19:20:25
606 forum posts
242 photos

hi there

i have a dakota scroll chuck which i bought from rutlands on advice from an old woodworkers monitor

called sparky wonderful buy never had a problem it is used daily and i have had it about 3 years now

i believe there was an offer on at the time and it was about £50

hope this helps

Older Beginner02/10/2012 05:29:03
5 forum posts

Thankl you all, I appreciate your letting me know your feelings on this and am happy to know that it is a reasonable if not good option. Especially considering the offer price.

Simon Reeves02/10/2012 13:22:50
622 forum posts
227 photos

Just a thought, but there was some discussion on the forum about Dakota chucks a while back. If you enter the keyword "Chuck" in the search box and look at "which chuck should i get "i am at confused dot com" you'll see a few comments.

Simon

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Triton
Robert Sorby
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Tormek
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact