By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

First little Box

Keep Sake Box for my daughter

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sam18/08/2012 23:44:43
386 forum posts
110 photos

I have been working on this for a few weeks , not solidly I must state !!

It has an Oak base , with oak side panels moulded on a spindle moulder , the corner posts are 35mm square and made from Black walnut . The sides are doweled using 8mm's . The frame was fixed to the base via 4 screws which were fitted through the corner posts and then hidden using little beech domed feet ( cheat I know but convenient ) . The top is made from bubinga about 14mm thick . The handle is made from oak again with a 5mm strip of purple heart glued to it . The moulding was meant to end up different but was a bit of an experiment and turned out a bit to big on the concave so i cut it down and "changed " the design .img_0105.jpg

img_0106.jpg

img_0107.jpg

img_0275.jpg

img_0337.jpg

img_0338.jpg

I oiled it up using various mix's of Tung and Danish oil diluted with White Spirit . and the final 3 coats just neat white spirit .

Hope you enjoyed ........

Kind regards Sam

Derek Lane19/08/2012 15:51:55
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

Great little box Sam. Have you been in that scrap box againcheeky

daveO19/08/2012 16:41:53
250 forum posts
32 photos

sam great box as derek says good use of what you have if that was the case but please tell

what is the benefit or what does neat coats of white spirit actually do - not heard of that before?

regards dave

Wolfie19/08/2012 17:50:18
406 forum posts
76 photos

Hi Sam, very well done, I also love to use up small pieces of left over wood. Nice job, looks great.

cheers Ian

Sam19/08/2012 19:39:56
386 forum posts
110 photos

Thanks for your comments guys smiley . I have been busted , I did search the scrap box at Yandles and that is where the sides came from as it was 2nd's from their cremation box production ,plus I do not have a spindle moulder , and I could not have bought the oak for the sides for what I paid for a metre length , about £2 . The corners were from a 40 x 40mm x 600mm spindle turning blank that cost about £5 . The base was a cremation box base that was rejected as the moulding was split and I cut that down to size for what I needed at a cost of 50p . The lid was from a piece of Bubinga i had bought for a bench I made for a show and the offcut suited the size of the oak base . The handle was made up from offcuts from around my workshop . The 8mm dowels were from a kitchen fit I did and you always end up with a box of surplus . The feet / buttons were about £1 for 8 .

In total It cost me about £8.50 for timber , £2 for hinges and about £1 for oil etc .Totaling for about £11.50 .

It was the first box I have made with the cheet of no mitred corners but using hidden screws .I thoroughly enjoyed the build as it was an experiment of "scrap heap challenge " style , but in timber . I prefer the build more than the finishing as I am too impatient for that as you can only do about 15 minutes work per night between coats . But it was worth the build up of coats , just a shame the lid does not show off the true reflective sheen it has .

Dave , sorry that was a blip on my part and I should not write posts at late hours face 21!! I actually meant three coats of neat Danish Oil , superior danish oil to be exact as I use Liberon finishes ...Sorry

If you fancy reading the full blog on it please take a look at my Blog , **LINK**

Many thanks for reading Sam

sad sam19/08/2012 20:47:09
609 forum posts
251 photos

hi sam a very nice box must have been a joy to make

what are the dimensions

sadsam

Sam19/08/2012 21:04:25
386 forum posts
110 photos

Hi Sam , the dimensions are 285mm by 145mm wide by 140mm high . That is the over all foot print with the 35mm x 35 mm corner posts are set back 7mm from the edge .The side panels are 18mm thick and set back 7mm back from the corner posts . The internal space is not massive but it is only meant for "special" objects .......like teeth I said , to which my daughter said "and toe nails and scabbs" .......charming lol

Kind regards Sam

George Crable24/08/2012 18:42:27
7 forum posts

Fantastic creation! Everything is well-put together.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Wood Workers Workshop
Craft Supplies
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact