By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Plea for Help

Woodworking

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
JMac10/08/2012 20:56:03
5 forum posts

MY friend is an ex paratrooper who has lost his sight and recently taken to woodworking. He has become very skilled at picture framing but now wishes to try other woodworking projects.

I have made several wooden patterns for him but have now exhausted my ideas. Please can any member help with suggestions or plans to help him with his hobby.

Any help would be appreciated.

JMAC.

Derek Lane11/08/2012 12:43:32
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

A little more information may help, Such as What tools he is able to use, you say you have made pattern for him what are they for and also what is he able to do.

There is a gent on another forum who is only visually impaired who through the Saint Dunstans Blind Association is able to do woodturning. Maybe not what your friend wants to do(woodturning) but the do run other courses might be worth a try

Tell your friend to come on here even if it through you we will endeavour to help

Ivor the engine12/08/2012 17:01:26
270 forum posts
46 photos

JMAC, There is a chap who has posted on here by the name of Tom O'Donnell who said blind people can use a router with templates www.routingwithtomodonnell it might be of help to your friend,

Take care,

Ivor.

JMac13/08/2012 18:04:48
5 forum posts

Hi Derek

Being computer illiterate I have cocked-up two replies to you so hopefully third time lucky!

To answer your questions I have made patterns for A Bird Box for Blue Tits, a Shaker Step Stool and a Lap Book Rest.

The tools he can use are as follows - Jig,Hand and Coping saws,a cordless screw driver and he has a talking rule. He finds making straight cuts easy by using a guide. Curves prove difficult so I try to supply patterns with relatively small curves.

I passed on your comments about St Dunstans so he will be in touch with them soon.

Hope this info is helpful.

JMac

Derek Lane13/08/2012 19:06:50
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

How about making jewellery boxes with the aid of a tenon saw and a hand plane and a combination plane. If someone could make a shooting board and a donkeys ear these would be of a great help in many projects. Then progress from there

JMac14/08/2012 12:08:35
5 forum posts

I am in the proress of making a shooting board for him but please explain "donkey eay"

Thanks about the suggestion about jewellery boxes

JMac

JMac14/08/2012 12:11:49
5 forum posts

Ivor,

Thanks for the suggestion - I looked at Tom O'donnel web site and got some goog ideas

Thanks

JMac

Derek Lane14/08/2012 13:13:10
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

JMac a donkeys ear is the same as a shooting board but designed to plane mitres as used in things like boxes. See picture below.

Donkey ear

Paul Bodiam17/08/2012 13:36:36
109 forum posts
68 photos

It might be worth contacting your local REMAP panel. (**LINK**)

REMAP is a charity that exists to help disabled people with devices and adaptations that are not otherwise commercially available. Each local panel is made up of volunteer engineers who excel in thinking up unusual solutions to technical challenges.

I have done some volunteer work for a local remap panel in the past, working on projects as diverse as a mechanism to help a quadraplegic woman put on and take off her reading glasses, a chair-raiser to allow a child with restricted growth to sit at a normal height classroom desk, and a paddle-operated buzzer to help a severely brain injured man communicate with his carers.

Ron Davis17/08/2012 20:03:24
1619 forum posts
201 photos

Welll done with that Paul, where would we be without volunteers

Ron

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
D&M Tools
Tormek
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact