clocks

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
sad sam30/07/2012 22:53:31
609 forum posts
251 photos

hi all

has anybody noticed how the price of clock inserts have gone through the roof

less than two years ago i was getting 3 100mm clocks for a tenner from meantime design i know they went bust and have not found anywhere to compare with them has anybody got any contacts for cheap clocks looking on ebay im beginning to think they are living in noddyland the prices they are asking

cheers sadsam

Big Al31/07/2012 06:55:38
1604 forum posts
73 photos

Yandles sold them the last time I went there, and they seemed reasonable at the time, however that was 2 years ago.

Al

Simon Reeves31/07/2012 12:57:36
622 forum posts
227 photos

I agree. Over the years I've made quite a few clocks with 150mm skeleton movements. When I first bought one (from Meantime at a Yandles show) they were about £17. Now Yandles have them again but they are £27.50!! Even the 100mm ones are £23.50. I think people would be less willing to part with their hard-earned cash these days if the item costs over a tenner more just for the parts.

At the New Forest show recently there was a stall that had some nicely designed clocks using the gold skeleton movement and a separate pendulum movement, hidden so you could only see the bob and not the whole shaft. Very effective, but also pretty pricey (over £90 as I recall).

Simon

daveO31/07/2012 16:27:30
250 forum posts
32 photos

sam

know what you mean I've searching myself, axminster list a few at reasonable money but theres not much choice

if its inserts you want I.ve picked up acouple of decent ones by scouring the charity shops for old porcelain clocks and taking the inserts out- worth a look at about three quid each

dave

Oddjob31/07/2012 19:21:01
1635 forum posts
79 photos

Dave

The charity shop idea is very good. You're likely to get much better quality for your money that way. Probably traditional clock mechanisms too. Got to be careful you don't spoil an antique though!

Richard

Sam31/07/2012 23:19:31
386 forum posts
110 photos

With out bias , Yandles used to buy from meantime but they had to source from else where , hence the price .

kind regards Sam

sad sam01/08/2012 08:28:41
609 forum posts
251 photos

hi lads

looks like we are all in the same boat and i do go round the charity shops and the car boots

i have picked a couple up but nothing striking

cheers sadsam

Ciaran Mac cormaic21/08/2012 14:33:02
20 forum posts
18 photos

why not buy a clock in a pound shop and salvage the mechanism while discarding the rest ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Wood Workers Workshop
Craft Supplies
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact