By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

I must be doing something right!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mailee28/07/2012 21:11:04
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

Well today I got a commision for an entertainment unit and a deposit to boot. thumbs up I asked the customer how he heard about me, as I usually do to see where most of my work is coming from. He told me one of his workmates had recommended me along with three other Cabinet makers which he contacted. One of them didn't turn up to give a quote after arranging a time, the other told him to visit them and wouldn't come out to see the job in hand and the third couldn't supply any samples of the paint colour/look. I arranged a time to visit him, turned up on time, seemed professional and also supplied a sample of the material paintwork. (His words, not mine) he also told me he had been impressed with my Website and some of the work I had done. I was buzzing I can tell you. :D Mind you if those are some of my competition, I have no need to worry. wink

Julian29/07/2012 14:03:26
553 forum posts
28 photos

Good Tradesmen are few and far between these days Mailee, I don't think you have anything to worry about until the competition raises it's game quite a bit.

daveO29/07/2012 16:57:31
250 forum posts
32 photos

john

you do not have anything to worrry about you have quite obviously built up a good reputation of your own

judging from the amount and quality of work you've done, in fact by what you say I dont really think there is any competition out there

when I was in business my way of thinking was quote for the job regardless, and by not quoteing

just means your not bothered - keep up the good work

Dave

George Crable24/08/2012 18:32:45
7 forum posts

Great work eventually gets noticed. Quality wins hands down everytime.

Chips David19/09/2012 21:03:14
1 forum posts

John.

You're one of a dying breed, there seems to be no self respect and a distinct lack of pride these days amongst many tradesmen and it is not going to get better if incidences like the one i'm about to discride below continue to occure in many of our training colleges.

When i was retraining at college i heard that a lecturer had to apologise to a student for telling him to show him respect get his head down and make something of his life. This student was beeing very abrusive to the teacher and other students.One of my friends was on the same course and as a mature student like myself felt disgusted at what had occured and as many a good man would do left the course and is looking at self training.

I have spoken to many a friend who's a tradesman, and they all say the same, that teachers in the schools and lecturers in the colleges have had taken away from them the ability to take the wet behind the ears boy and give us the man.

If a lecturer has to apologise to a disruptive student for telling him to show respect, then when that student (apprentice) becomes a tradesman what are his clients (victims) going to experience?.

Yours David.

Ivor the engine21/09/2012 08:11:14
270 forum posts
46 photos

Very true David no respect,

A tradesman of some 43 years,

Regards,

Ivor.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
D&M Tools
Tormek
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact