greenhouse

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
sad sam19/07/2012 11:03:47
604 forum posts
241 photos

hi all

i am looking for advice i am considering making a wooden greenhouse

when we had a loft convertion 3years ago i kept the old roof beams and i wonder if it would be a wise move to use them the property was built in 1935

so they are well seasoned but they are  pine

i would very much like some advice on this

the area where it will be situated is an odd size which is why im going to make it myself

cheers sadsam

Edited By sad sam on 19/07/2012 11:04:40

Simon Reeves19/07/2012 13:08:00
622 forum posts
227 photos

Hi Sam

I'm sure it's teaching grandma to suck cackleberries, but obviously untreated pine won't last long outside, so you'll need a really good dosing of preservative on everything, especially the base and all cut ends. Any horizontal surfaces such as window ledges should always be chamfered to drain water away from the building, and should have a drip stop groove or rebate underneath near the front edge. You could use a good treatment such as Sadolin or Cuprinol if you wanted to stain the wood and protect it at the same time.

If it's of any use, my timber workshop stands on a single course of engineering bricks (the kind with 3 holes), and has a skirt made of DPC membrane fixed to the rear of the cladding, which overlaps the bricks and helps to divert water away from the timber base. It would depend on how you are going to make the sides and base as to whether you used something like this as well.

I used to have a really old potting shed that was half shed and half wooden greenhouse. It was well over 30 years old, but was regularly treated with preservative and was still going strong when I took it down to make way for the workshop. Hope yours works as well as this one did.

Good luck with the project - don't forget to post the progress pictures.

Simon

daveO21/07/2012 17:47:03
250 forum posts
32 photos

sam

go for it,simon is quite right put plenty of preserative on and you will be fine- i have got to say that pine is to often dissed as being no good but well protected it works fine and as your humble abode was built in the 30's there is a good chance that it could be pitch pine , of which of course is a bit better

and yes be sure to post WIP

resards dave

sad sam21/07/2012 17:58:42
604 forum posts
241 photos

hi thanks for the info i will have a go and will post pics

but i ve been told by the forewoman that i have three picture frames another rad cover and a small oak table to make before i can make something for myself

i responded by going to the club and discussing it with the lads and after a lot of liquid had been drunk we agreed that i better do as im told so i willpost those first

cheers sadsam

daveO22/07/2012 16:16:35
250 forum posts
32 photos

sam

have tried to convince her that those projects are better done in the winter months when you cant work outsidewink

dave

paul wagstaffe24/07/2012 22:21:01
107 forum posts
11 photos

Have found this for you Sam!

http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/resources/index.php?cat=445&topic=greenhouses

regards Paul

Edited By paul wagstaffe on 24/07/2012 22:24:06

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact