By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Replacement Stair Balustrade

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Delboy17/07/2012 20:34:24
36 forum posts

Having just finished replacing my old "ranch" style stair and landing bannister and rails with hemlock rails and spindles a la Richard Burbidge, I am seeking any advice on final finish for both protection and look. So far the replacements have had two coats of Danish oil. I was originally planning another one or two but the smell lingers and I'm not sure I want any more of it - no complaints from "management" yet but they may come. Anyway, I would be grateful for any advice on what you guys think may be the best finish coat.I did have sanding sealer in mind but am not sure. Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks all.

Big Al17/07/2012 21:23:49
1600 forum posts
73 photos

Sanding sealer may not work as you have already given it 2 coats of danish oil. My advice would be to give it another coat of danish oil. The smell goes away very quickly. And if you can, apply it with a fine scouring pad, this will ensure a very smooth finish.

Al

Doug17/07/2012 21:33:16
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Like Al says I would also go for further coats of Danish oil,

Try burning a couple of candles in the same room, away from the oil, whilst applying the oil & while it`s going off.

SWMBO always burns candles when I do any decorating & it does seem to help.

Cheers.

Doug.

Delboy17/07/2012 22:01:40
36 forum posts

Thanks Big Al - hadn't thought about a scouring pad. Good idea about the candles Doug - will certainly give that a go.

Cheers Guys

Del

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Triton
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact