By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Wood glue

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
paul wagstaffe10/06/2012 12:29:04
107 forum posts
11 photos

Hi, I'm looking for a wood glue that will swell up after it is applied to help fill an imperfections in the joint. I am sure I have seen something like this before, can you help?

dennis wake10/06/2012 12:49:31
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

hi Paul

you can get gorila glue will do the job. all you do is aply the glue to one serfice and dampen the other and join them together. the moistur will react with the glue and expand.

hope this is of use there are other glues that do the same but not shure of there name.

dennis

Derek Lane10/06/2012 13:07:07
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

I think what Dennis is thinking about is Polyurethane Glue. If you do use it get some rubber gloves to wear as it stains your hand black and is hard to get off

dennis wake10/06/2012 13:10:48
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

cheers Derek

just couldn't remember what it was called. you are not wrong about turning your hand black it took me ages to get it of.

dennis

Derek Lane10/06/2012 14:13:03
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

I always have a big box of the surgical type gloves in the workshop for glueing up with it and also for some of the finishes, saves alot of hand scrubbing

Ron Davis10/06/2012 17:37:18
1619 forum posts
201 photos

A dollop of hand cream works well, it softens the skin and helps to shed the gunge, 'No More Nails' is another one to wear gloves for.

Ron

daveO10/06/2012 17:41:15
250 forum posts
32 photos

Paul

hang on a minute, I understand what you are looking to do but most glues will driy clear and won't take a stain or dye (even if the makers say they will ). now a tip I got years ago from "Norm Abram" was to put plenty of glue into the joint and then pull the joint close together, then sprinkle in some saw dust from the same wood , then pull up the joint tightly, thus any imperfections will be filled to the same colour,

wipe the joint whilst still wet and then it can be sanded smooth when dry

I've tried it and it works every time

regards

dave

paul wagstaffe10/06/2012 19:02:30
107 forum posts
11 photos

Thank you guy's, as allways dependable and helpful advice. I think I will go with the Norm Abram advise but of course the is an argument for saying "Just get the joint right in the first place"

Thanks

Paul, Dodging motorbike's as it's TT week here!

Mailee10/06/2012 19:17:12
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

Just a scrap of info here guys. If you get polyurethane glue on your hands it comes off with a pumice stone quite easily. (How do I know? using it many times without gloves) doh!

Big Al11/06/2012 07:39:45
1601 forum posts
73 photos

Paul, instead of using polyurethane glue, powdered resin wood glue will gap fill without foaming up out of the joint. It's known as cascamite, or extramite these day's, not as easy to get hold of as a polyurethane glue.

If your looking at buying it online click here. The only thing to remember is to only mix up what you are going to use as it does not keep.

Al

Ciaran Mac cormaic13/06/2012 11:02:18
20 forum posts
18 photos

Hi paul, polyurethene (gorilla) glue will expand to fill gaps but not with much additional strength.More to the point it will be ugly yellow foam and not hide imperfections so some form of coloured filler will be needed. Its great for destroying your fingerprints though.

David Nevin19/06/2012 11:30:49
57 forum posts
26 photos

UHU used to do a glue that did this job it swelled up jointd say for chair joints

it was called UHU woodtite but I cannot find a supplier in the UK that does this, I can get it from Germany but its a lond way

David Nevin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact