By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Dado

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
paul wagstaffe26/05/2012 10:25:37
107 forum posts
11 photos

When I take a look at general woodwork projects on the Internet and You Tube, the woodworking people of the US seem to use a Dado blade in a table saw. Is the style of cutting a rebate used in the UK, and are they safe?

Regards Paul in the Isle of Man

Big Al26/05/2012 15:05:18
1601 forum posts
73 photos

Paul, in the Uk you cant fit a dado blade to a tablesaw, it was deemed unsafe many years ago and all tables saw's are fitted with short spindles to stop dado blade's being fitted. The only machine you can fit a dado blade to is a radial arm saw.

Al

paul wagstaffe26/05/2012 18:08:22
107 forum posts
11 photos

Thank you Al, seems a shame but I am not going to argue with the powers that know far more than me especially when I can do the same job's on my router table.

Newbie_Neil28/05/2012 12:00:37
43 forum posts

Hi Paul,

If you Google "exact width dado jig" it will give you the details on creating a jig to produce dadoes using a router. It is far safer than using a tablesaw.

Thanks,

Neil

Julian28/05/2012 19:49:56
553 forum posts
28 photos

Hi Paul -- I think we all see how easy Norm does it with the dado blade set and you can get them in the uk, David Free used to have the legal bit on his website but it doesn't seem to be around anymore. I think it was up to 7/16" on a Saw that has a long arbour but that would have to be checked, the new regs on table saws say that they have to have an electronic blade brake this has been the case for a good few years now and you definitely can't use a dado with a blade braked saw. I have never used a dado and found the router to be perfectly accurate if the correct jig is used, have a look at Ron Fox's articles and U-Tubes they are really good and informative.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Robert Sorby
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact