By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

club comp

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
dennis wake09/05/2012 23:15:14
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

well we had our competition tonight and her are photos of the entries and the top 3 winners.

this is a link to all the other entries for you to look at

http://www.getwoodworking.com/albums/member_album.asp?a=20919

and her are the winning 3

this is the 3rd place

this was 2nd

and this was first.

Robby and i got nowhere. my entry below was told that the spindles let the rest down.i will let Robby inform you all what the judges said.

dennis

Edited By dennis wake on 09/05/2012 23:16:55

Edited By dennis wake on 09/05/2012 23:20:11

sad sam10/05/2012 09:22:08
609 forum posts
251 photos

hi all

the club competition was well attended and there were some eccellent entries

it was stressed from the outset that this was an open compitition so enter what ever you want

hence my chess set and table

after the results were annouced the judge made some comments about various pieces and what he said about my entry was "I LIKED THE CHESS SET BUT IT IS NOT REALLY TURNING" so he obviously dis regarded it as far as the competition went

our club chairman stood there and agreed then replied well what can we say

i have not said anything yet because i did not want to mar the compitition by objecting

i did not expect to win and entered because i am proud of what i achieved and wanted to support

the club

but i will never show my support again

sadsam

Wolfie10/05/2012 12:33:24
406 forum posts
76 photos

hard luck chaps, thats the way the cookie crumbles. Every judge seems to have a different oppinion of what they are looking for. Is it just me but I just do not get that second place piece. I have zoomed in as far as possible and still don't get it! I am sure it was very skillfully done, but why? I must be a total phillistine! Sadsam, I cannot understand how you managed to make your chess men without using a lathe! It would be a shame if you did not enter again you both make some lovely things.

cheers Ian

dennis wake10/05/2012 12:51:30
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

thank you Wolfie

the 2nd place is a bowl my photo was not very good hopfuly Robby has a better photo and will post it on here. the level of turning was high and any one of the many entries could of won. i think if we had a difrent set of judges then we would of had 3 difrent winners. i think there is a lot of turning involved with Robby's entry all you have to do is look close and you will see .

hopfuly we will do better next time just have to try harder that is all.

dennis

Oddjob10/05/2012 13:45:05
1635 forum posts
79 photos

Well, as they say, the judge's decision is final. You don't have to agree though do you?

From what I can see in the album there were fourteen entries plus, presumably Robbie's chess set and table. IMHO the chosen winner would have been in the last three. For a start, it is yew. Yew is very easy to turn and finish - beginners can easily produce a well turned piece from it. The shape is unimaginative and the bulbous part of the vase is, or seems to be, broader than the neck which makes it look out of balance. Finally if you want a thick walled vase of this type I believe that the exposed thick section round the neck should be at a much shallower angle to the horizontal.

Robbie, don't let one judge put you off. You have a serious talent that deserves to be displayed. Many years ago the landlord at my then local bred and showed alsatian dogs (they call them German shepherds now don't they?) He had one particular dog that he fancied for Crufts. It failed to qualify at three of the lead-up shows but finally made it at the fourth. It went on to win second place in the best of breed competion at Crufts!

Richard

dennis wake10/05/2012 18:24:37
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

hi Richard

i agree with you Robby has got a talent and he should continue to enter. as they always say better look next time. we will have to get our heads together and produce something out of this world ( no not a rocket) . by the way this

entry timber was washed up on our local beach.(what a find)

dennis

Edited By dennis wake on 10/05/2012 18:33:11

Edited By dennis wake on 10/05/2012 18:34:22

Julian10/05/2012 19:10:06
556 forum posts
28 photos

Hi Dennis and Robbie -- Your club certainly has some talent in it, this has been said before but I know when my club had an open competition it was said at the outset of the judging that the object itself was not being judged because you can't compare beautiful girls against lumps of rock so you have to award points to the various turning actions and the perspective and balance of the piece. As Ian says each judge has different ideas about a piece but you must not be put off by their decision. Learn from it and understand what the judges are looking for and emphasise those points. You can't fail to win then ! ! ! Any way better luck next time I am still in envy of you both. Julian

Oddjob10/05/2012 19:38:00
1635 forum posts
79 photos

That was indeed a lovely piece of flotsam Dennis. However, in my view it was a shame to make it into an apparently broken vase. I'm not keen on bowls or vases with cracks and holes. They're fun to turn, even exciting or scary sometimes but they still look broken in the end to me. Every one to their own as they say.

Richard

Ron Davis11/05/2012 19:55:21
1619 forum posts
201 photos

Not really turning, where did the judge think the chess men came from? They are a great example of copy turning and from what I saw they should have recieved a better comment than that.

As for copy turning we have declared our next competition in June to be two identical items, I will measure, and leave the final judging to others.

Ron

dennis wake11/05/2012 21:49:56
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

i hope it is all free hand copy turning as then you will see exactly how good they all are. good look to you all.

dennis

Ron Davis12/05/2012 17:30:56
1619 forum posts
201 photos

Thanks Dennis, I know some of the members are brilliant

Ron

Steve J W15/05/2012 14:41:57
137 forum posts
9 photos

i think you have to look at it as fun you know how tallented you are, you should just be thankfull you are not as bad as me lol,

some great items you all turn, so please keep up the good work and let us drool over your items.

Doug15/05/2012 18:59:18
3415 forum posts
35 photos

after the results were annouced the judge made some comments about various pieces and what he said about my entry was "I LIKED THE CHESS SET BUT IT IS NOT REALLY TURNING" so he obviously dis regarded it as far as the competition went

our club chairman stood there and agreed then replied well what can we say

Sam,

I`d suggest you tell the chairman & judge to get hold of copies of the late great Bill Jones`s books, read them & then say chess pieces aren`t turning....I find their comments unbelievable.

Half the entries in my local club competition have far more work done on them after the piece has been turned, such as colouring, carving, piercing & decorating, but it`s still classed as turned work & open for competition entry.

Cheers.

sad sam16/05/2012 16:16:39
609 forum posts
251 photos

hi all

thanks for your comments i like most of you cannot understand the reasoning behind the judge or chairmans comments

it is club night tonight but im giving it a miss i am still p---ed off with them and am going on holiday on friday so i will chill out and see how i feel about the club then

thanks for the commissorations

sadsam

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Robert Sorby
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact