By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Draper Bobbin Sanding Drum

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
zac wingfield27/04/2012 19:02:21
58 forum posts
1 photos

hi all,

just about to buy my first bobbin sander for sanding the edges of my mdf.

this one seems like a great price:

http://www.toollineuk.com/product.php/section//sn/10773

but i've never owned one before so i have a question. it comes with a selection of different size drums and sanding sleeves.

it's not clear from the pictue whether i'll be able to make my own sleeves or not. will i always have to buy pre-made sleeves?

my problem is that i need to sand with a very fine grit like 240 and I dont think they sell sleeves of that grit.

anyone got any experiance of these?

thanks

zac

Big Al28/04/2012 08:10:18
1601 forum posts
73 photos

You will always have to buy replacement sleeves. I had a delta bobboin sander years ago, but in the end I sold it as I never used it. Most of the things that I would have used it for, it is easier to use a spoke shave and I get a better result.

My advice would be to find out how much the sanding sleeves cost before buying the machine.

Al

paul wagstaffe28/04/2012 10:03:17
107 forum posts
11 photos

I dont mean to offend but I think they are a bit of a waste of money (maybe that's because I am tight lol) I cut five disc's out of 18mm mdf, glued them together and drilled a hole down the centre, put them on some threaded bar. Then I turned them true, then I used contact adhesive to glue on some sand paper to it (make sure you cut the sand paper diagonally) Used in a drill press you have a bobbin sander. Simple's
Regards Paul
zac wingfield28/04/2012 10:25:21
58 forum posts
1 photos
Yes good point the only problem there is i might be restricted not having complete 360 access to to it as the piller might get in the way if im working on a larger piece with angles.

Also i dont have a piller drill - doh!
Simon Reeves29/04/2012 14:05:54
622 forum posts
227 photos

I have the older version of this sander, but you're right - I think the finest grit you can get off the shelf is 120, so you would have to make your own bobbins as Paul suggests if you wanted anything different.

These things are great if you want to make templates etc, and make short work of material like MDF, but Al is right about getting a better finish on any kind of final surface using a spokeshare. Speaking of MDF, the dust extraction is very good on this machine, but make sure you always use it with a proper extractor and a mask or respirator.

Simon

Edited By Simon Reeves on 29/04/2012 14:06:47

zac wingfield29/04/2012 15:39:13
58 forum posts
1 photos
Thanks simon. Ive just ordered it!

Im pleased to say ive got extraction at each bench.

Hopefully it will arrive on tuesday so ill post back with a quick review!
Frank Carroll07/05/2012 09:59:25
3 forum posts

I agree with Simon about the dust and a respirator. MDF is toxic and the dust should not be inhaled.

Having got that out of the way, You can contact any large abrasive belt supplier and see what their minimum order is for supplying made-up to order cylinders. It may not be as expensive as you think.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact