By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

All in a days work

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mailee26/04/2012 19:32:01
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

I started work on another set of wardrobes yesterday. Again it is in MRMDF with a painted finish. This time it is a straight forward set of 'boxes' with double hanging rails in each side.
I got the plinth assembled and the sides cut out.
I then got the tops and bottoms cut out and all the biscuit slots cut and a coat of sealer on the edges.
Next I made a start on the doors with my trusty shaker cutting setup.
I managed to get all the rails and stiles cut in record time.
and by the end of today I had them ready to assemble.
Just after lunch I had a surprise visit from a customer with a panel he had damaged and wanted it repairing, so I had a break from the wardrobes and did a bit of repairing. I had to add two new slats which were broken and glue a split in the side. The 'new' slats are not a perfect match but the customer is happy if it is close.
All in all, not a bad days work today.
Charlie Hill29/04/2012 17:06:51
76 forum posts
53 photos

Hi Mailee

Could you please explain how your Shaker cutting set up works and what cutters you are using?

In the assembly photo there does not appear to be any panels ...... was this a dry assembly prior to sizing & fitting the panels please?

Mailee29/04/2012 21:02:44
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

Yes Charlie, this is just a dry fit before fitting the panels. As for the shaker maker I cannot take the credit for it as it was Doctor Bob on another forum who showed me the idea, I just copied it. it consists of two 6mm slot cutters mounted on an arbour with a 6mm gap between them. I then have a false bed of 6mm MDF on the table top and use this to run the pieces through to make the groove. i then remove the false bed and use a sled against the fence to cut the tennons. Using this method there is no need to re-set the cutter and is thus much quicker. HTH.

Newbie_Neil30/04/2012 15:10:18
43 forum posts

Hi Alan,

Do you have any photographs showing your Shaker set up in action?

Thanks,

Neil

Mailee30/04/2012 22:52:44
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

No sorry Neil, I shall take some when I am back in the shop for you.

Newbie_Neil01/05/2012 12:17:18
43 forum posts

Hi Alan,

Thank you, I would appreciate it when you have the time.

Neil

Charlie Hill01/05/2012 22:07:55
76 forum posts
53 photos

Now that you have explained it Mailee that is a great solution. Thanks to you and Dr Bob for sharing. Just like Alexander say "simples"!!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Wood Workers Workshop
Craft Supplies
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact