By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Dovetail Jig Guidance

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Joppy14/04/2012 18:46:47
32 forum posts
5 photos

I'll shortly be in the market for a dovetail jig. Which can you reccomend (or not)from your experience

Mailee14/04/2012 20:58:54
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

Well out of all of the jigs I have seen and owned my favourite is the Dakota jig from Rutlands. It is limited to through dovetails of even spacing only but makes it so simple and easy. It takes just minutes to set up and use it. I have spent hours with the other jigs that cut blind dovetails tring to set them up until I could finally turn out some passable joints. It is also one of the cheapest on the market too which is a big bonus. HTH.

Derek Lane14/04/2012 21:49:54
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

I've got the trend jig but very rarly use it as I am trying to cut them all by hand. Having said that It is a good jig as long as you read the instructions well as you would with any jig or tool

This is the one I have http://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/productsubgroup1/189/CDJ300_Dovetail_Jig.html

Big Al15/04/2012 08:20:33
1602 forum posts
73 photos

I own a leigh D4 and have had it for about 7 years. To me it's the bee's knee's, yes it can take a bit of time to set up but I have complete control over spacing, and it will cut both through and half blind dovetails. It can also cut sliding dovetails.

Before that I had a trend DJ300, which was OK but it was limited to 300mm wide and only cut half blind dovetails.

Al

Joppy19/04/2012 18:07:15
32 forum posts
5 photos

Thank you, I'll investigate all the mentioned models.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Robert Sorby
Triton
Craft Supplies
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Tormek
D B Keighley
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact