By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

dust extractor advice

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
zac wingfield07/04/2012 21:23:05
58 forum posts
1 photos
Hi all. Im going to be cutting a lot of mdf in my shop but before i do i want to get my dust extration right.

Im looking for a machine with two inlets.

Axminster have a nice one for 1300 before vat but im not sure i can go to that.

Anyone got any good links?

Zac
Sam07/04/2012 22:11:00
386 forum posts
110 photos

Hi Zac , first question would be , what machines are you intending to use to cut it with . ie table saw or circular saw etc .

....With MDF you will need a very fine filter because of the very fine dust .

Kind regards Sam

zac wingfield07/04/2012 23:03:42
58 forum posts
1 photos
Yes sorry should have said. Its my cnc machine that will be doing all the work. I hardly use the table saw although i do have a very small extractor which i wheel around between the mitre saw and table saw.
Sam07/04/2012 23:55:22
386 forum posts
110 photos

you really need to look at what air flow is required by the CNC , also take a look at the extraction port on the cnc ie 4" or 6" , but it is worth buying something more powerful than you think you need as MDF dust is a right bugger . I have a small portable extractor which is a LVHP and with a .5micron filter on it fitted to my circ saw and it sucks like beast but it is still amazing what escapes the saw . I still use my face mask / respirator when cutting .

And remember that when you start adding in long runs of ducting you will loose pressure / suction but that is a whole nother kettle of fish for you to look in to !

Kind regards Sam

zac wingfield08/04/2012 19:23:31
58 forum posts
1 photos

hi sam,

yes luckily for me i wont need any long ducting as it will all be within a 2 meter reach. the extraction port is a 6"er

i also use a 1/2 face respirator which a bought from ebay.

my problem is i need to keep the shop as dust free as possible because i have my spray shop in the same area. although the spray shop id sectioned off nicely i just gotta keep the dust right down.

unfortunately the cnc arrived from china without any paperwork/instructions and getting any sensible answers from them isnt easy. so it's difficult to know what the exact air flow is.

axminster have a really nice cyclone extractor with a .2 micron filter but it it costs a few pennies!

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-industrial-series-ub-2200veck-cyclone-extractor-prod795037/

Sam09/04/2012 01:07:43
386 forum posts
110 photos

I can not vouch for the extractor itself , but how I try to look atthings , is to buy the best you can for the money you have , not the biggest , but the best quality ..Also if you are unsure of the requirement of your machine is then try and call axminster and ask for their support as I am sure they will / would be happy to advise you .

Saying that , if it has a six inch extraction port then I amsure it will need a high volume of air flow to work well ..

Looking at the extractor you linked too , it would look like it has 2 x 4" inlets , but it looks like that the splitter may be removable and if so would be easy to fabricate an adaptor to be able to switch to a 6 " inlet .

Havingsaid that , when I buy someting ,I look at what is required of it and buy the next size / power up as you need to look to the future of if your requirements change , especialy with extraction . If you were to spend say £1000 now and it turns out to be not adequit , you will then need to go out and spend more on another more expensive unit like the one you linked to and the old one is a lost value item . I know it is easy to say but it is best to soend wisely once .

Kind regards Sam

zac wingfield10/04/2012 13:01:59
58 forum posts
1 photos

ok, just ordered an extractor. it filters down to 0.5 microns + it made in UK by a small British firm.

really good spec for the price. Ive gone for a twin motor version, wall mounted. You can read about it here if anyone is interested:

http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Health___Safety/Dust_Extraction/CamVac_Extractors/camvac_extractors.html

it doesn’t have the twin inlet which I originally wanted but they are very reasonably priced so if needed i could probably afford to have another positioned by the other machine.

Statsman10/04/2012 18:45:38
14 forum posts

Can one of the admin guys edit the two posts above with long web addresses? Some of the text of all the posts have been pushed under the right hand adverts.

Sam10/04/2012 20:25:04
386 forum posts
110 photos

Thumbs up for buying a uk product . I think you have gone the right way re the twin motor setup and definately on the filtration size , but may still be worth wearing a respirator as MDF dust is very fine and all you need is small amount to escape the machine and be blown around by the rotating blade ..

Does your cnc machine have a shroud around the cutter .If not you may be able to createsome thing , on the bigger machines I have worked on they have a round brush like head surrounding the cutter as it helps contain particles until the extractor has done its work .

Kind regards Sam

steve h11/04/2012 07:46:54
403 forum posts
128 photos

Hi Zac, I have the twin motor camvac and I am very pleased with it - one thing I would recommend is puttinb a cyclone in front of it - It takes away that mass majority of the fine dust even before it hits your bag or drum and then your filters - Please take a look at my photos -

Hope this helps - Steve.

(I also purchased a spare cotton liner so I can wash the dirty one and replace it straight away)

zac wingfield11/04/2012 09:18:51
58 forum posts
1 photos

hi Steve,

yes i bought the pack of spare cotten filters as well.

good idea about the cyclone. i'll see if i can put one together. what kind of drum size did you use?

zac

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Triton
Transwave 2017
Tormek
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact