By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

What is this tool

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
biz howard07/04/2012 13:13:01
3 forum posts
1 photos

Rooting through the garage this morning and came across this tool, it is marked I SORBY, it looks like it should have a handle or shaft attached to it, anyone any idea please

biz howard07/04/2012 13:20:07
3 forum posts
1 photos

sorby tool

Derek Lane09/04/2012 12:59:25
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

I seemed to have missed this post. First of all welcome to the site.

As for the tool not really sure but looks like it could be a chisel for deep blind mortices or possibly for doing door lock mortice. If you find out it would be interesting to know

Andy King09/04/2012 17:31:45
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles

Hi biz howard, welcome to the forum!

Derek is spot on, it's a swan neck mortice chisel for removing the waste on a lock.

The old horizontal door locks where the keyhole sat in front of the spindle bar rather than below it as it does on a standard sash lock, were designed to sit in the centre door rail without drilling out the tenons and to also put the door knob well back from the frame edge so you didn't bang your knuckles, but being that much deeper needed a chisel to get right at the back.

The thick rounded shoulder allowed the chisel to roll and pare the waste away.

Cant' quite see from your image, but the flared neck looks like it was a socket handle?

hope this helps,

Cheers,

Andy

biz howard09/04/2012 17:44:38
3 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks Derek and Andy, thanks for replys, after your reply regarding swan neck mortice chisel l found a picture on a amercan site with one with a small wooden handle which is missing on mine, oh the good old days before electric tools took over

best biz

Ron Davis09/04/2012 19:21:27
1618 forum posts
201 photos

I have one of these although I have yet to use it, it was my Dads and is in my limited display of antique tools. It has a laminated cutting edge and the handle on mine is a short piece of ash just large enough to be held comfortably.

I would hate to use this on a DIY Shed door!

I would love o see other users put photo's of interesting tools on the site

Ron

Ron

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact