By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Record screw chuck wood screws

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jim123402/04/2012 15:24:18
5 forum posts

HELP! Where can I get some 12 SWG x 1 3/8 mild steel slot head wood screws? (not metric size 12) Have a shank of 6.25mm

Desperately need some for my record RP3000X collet chuck screw chuck.

I Just use this bit of the collet chuck because it fits into both my Multistar Duplex and Nova scroll chucks and is much less fuss than parallel threaded screw chuck inserts. The rest of the collet chuck is seldom used now since I got the Nova and more recently the Multistar Duplex which alone does nearly everything.

Record do sell them but they want £1.51 + vat each and £5.95 postage. SCANDLOUS - Just for a woodscrew!

daveO03/04/2012 16:35:05
250 forum posts
32 photos

jim hi and welcome

try www.londonstainless.com for the screws they show 12swg in csk and raised head , dont know how many you will have to buy or how much, but they cant be any more than record

good luck

dave

Jim123407/04/2012 11:19:31
5 forum posts

Thanks for the advice dave0. I have contacted them and they were good enough to phone me. It soon became apparent that the srews I want are not SWG but size 12 Imperial and anyway they deal in very large quantities to the trade but they were very decent guys to deal with.

I think that somwhere the resoration trade must have access to them.

Wonder if my record agent could get them for me on a stock order so I dont have to be ripped off with exorbitant P&P rates?

Derek Lane07/04/2012 14:22:46
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

Hi Jim welcome to the site. Could not agree more about some of the charges that are being charged. I appriciate that they have to charge something to help with costs. Even when you go to your local Record dealer they still might charge P&P as record charge them I know it happened to me once never again. Who are your local dealers for record

Cedric Wheeler07/04/2012 21:26:01
154 forum posts
31 photos

Hi Jim

I have the same chuck as you and use the same screw. I managed to get a couple some time ago from a small old-fashioned Hardware Shop in Launceston and have one spare which I will be happy to give to you if you can email me with your postal address. When I go to town next, probably Thursday, I will see if I can get any more if you let me know how many you would like. He is very reasonable with prices and I doubt if they will more thsan 20p each

Jim123408/04/2012 19:40:07
5 forum posts

Thanks very much for the offer Cedric but while I was in the workshop yesterday looking for a nut and bolt I found a rusty old woodscrew that has done the job. It was the only one there in the box of nuts and bolts and car brick a brac and I have no idea where it came from. I have thousands of wood screws, even lots of slotted ones from my Dad's day in the 50's but no luck.

Nevertheless this has made me realise just how much I rely on this part of the Record Collet Chuck albeit that the rest of it isn't up to modern 4 jaw standards by a long way so would it be possible for you to get me half a dozen when you are next in town and we will sort out renumeration?

I like to make fancy mushrooms from grotty old branches. Very relaxing and the ladies love em too. i usually start off bowles no matter how big on it and often use the threaded screw holes for the faceplate fitting to insert additional screws.

ALSO

Derek, you asked me who my Record Agent was. It is The Tool Shop in Derby and they are usually very helpful but still there may be something in what you say about them recouping delivery charges.

Cedric Wheeler09/04/2012 11:06:00
154 forum posts
31 photos

Hi Jim

I will see what I can do for you this week when I am in Launceston. The last ones that I got are actually plated so they don't rust!

Cedric

Eric Harvey 110/04/2012 10:53:36
221 forum posts
81 photos

try screwfix,they do metric and imperial screws

Sam10/04/2012 20:34:47
386 forum posts
110 photos

Hi Jim , if you get stuck you could try http://www.wentinfasteners.co.uk/ , they are based in Yeovil , South Somerset and I use them on a few times a week constantly . I am sure they will be able to help you as they have something of everything . If I am in there tomorrow I will find out for you .

Kind regards Sam

Jim123411/04/2012 10:35:19
5 forum posts

Thanks for your interest Eric and Sam. It looks like Cedric has found me some now so I should be ok if they fit, which is very likely seeing as he has the same chuck.

I did look at Screwfix because I have no less than 2 of their outlets right on my door. The trouble is that I need screws with a 6.25mm shank and slotted head and (I think that they are) metric size14 or Imperial 12, going from a guage plate that I have provided free from Goodwoodworking ages ago.

It is unlikely that other bulk suppliers would have such an old fashioned size. All the screws at Screwfix that I could see are too long and can't be modified, not that cross heads would be a problem to modify.

Have you noticed that much of Record Power stuff still seems to be Imperial probably because the original patterns for the lathes etc date back to pre metric days. I bought a super set of forstner bits from them but they are all imperial, very good value and quality though..

Thanks again.

Jim

Ron Davis13/04/2012 15:41:04
1619 forum posts
201 photos

Hi Jim, I reckon you need1/4" shanks, which are 6.35mm, who stocks them though is another question

Ron

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Triton
Transwave 2017
Tormek
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact