By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

fading colour

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Wolfie23/03/2012 15:34:50
406 forum posts
76 photos

Hi folks, I was just wondering if anyone out there knows of a product to finish wood to stop the effects of daylight fading the colour.

I made a table lamp some time ago from seppelle and maple. It looked great at first but it now looks as if it is all maple. Any ideas?

Ian

Derek Lane23/03/2012 17:34:28
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

I am watching this with interest as I make things from Sapele and don't want it to end up looking lighter than what it is. I have made 2 largish bowls and finished them with sander sealer and canuba wax and so far so good no change of colour

Edited By Derek Lane on 23/03/2012 17:35:16

Ron Davis23/03/2012 17:51:20
1619 forum posts
201 photos

All woods change colour in the light, sapele and mahogany fade most other woods darken. It is a chemical reaction, the only thing to stop it is keep it in the dark, and then you can't see it!

Iroko darkens and like me it improves with age

Ron

Edited By Ron Davis on 23/03/2012 17:51:54

Alan T.23/03/2012 19:08:40
1033 forum posts
98 photos

Don't think there is an absolute solution Wolfie, as U.V. light will bleach the colour out of almost anything given enough exposure. Avoid direct sunlight at all costs. Cheers Alan T.

Wolfie23/03/2012 20:27:37
406 forum posts
76 photos

seems like there is nothing I can do. The lamp I had was on a small table next to the window and did get some strong daylight. I will have to be more careful as to where I place things in the house. thanks for your replies.

cheers Ian

Newbie_Neil26/03/2012 16:35:40
43 forum posts

Does anyone know how Ash reacts to sunlight?

Thanks,

Neil

Doug31/03/2012 09:51:44
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Andy King recommended acrylic lacquer many years ago as a finish which slows down the yellowing of Ash on finished pieces & I`ve found it very effective.

A bed I made for my son from Ash 3 years ago resides under a window & so far has shown little change in colour, though I would add it gets only the late afternoon sun.

I`ve started using Chestnut`s acrylic aerosol lacquer on my turned work & so far have been happy with the results. last years competition entry for my local club was made from chestnut burr finished in sprayed lacquer & is on a south facing window cill & whilst it has deepen in colour the change isn`t as marked as other pieces on the cill finished with oils & waxes.

Cheers.

Doug

Eugene Anderson03/04/2012 20:25:34
47 forum posts
21 photos

Why not use a outdoor uv protecting oil (osmo) and wax it when dry, just 'cos it's made for outdoor stuff (and will protect from the effects of uv rays for up to five years) doesn't mean it can't be used for stuff indoors and being protected from the weather I would have thought the effect would last much longer.

Andy

Wolfie04/04/2012 10:43:21
406 forum posts
76 photos

Hi Neil, can't help you as far as ash is concerned, sorry

Thank you Doug and Andy for your suggestions. I will give them a try sometime and let you know how it went.

cheers. Ian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact