By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

band saw problem

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
paul johnson 211/03/2012 18:44:44
197 forum posts
100 photos

I just bought myself a second hand SIP band saw, when using it for the first time today the blade jammed and from then on the saw wont cut straight I've looked at the manual and played about with the guides but still no joy.

Any advice or tips welcomed.

Thanks Paul

Derek Lane11/03/2012 19:04:42
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

Not having a bandsaw I may be well of the mark but when it jammed did it damage the blade

dennis wake11/03/2012 21:12:45
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

hi Paul

if you have got a new blade put this in and set the guides up as instructed by the book not forgeting the ones that run behined the blade as they should all be set at a papers thiknes wider than the point of the blade that was welded or this will jam the blade. then try this hope this works if not you may have a problem with the bearings on the drive wheels

dennis

Newbie_Neil12/03/2012 12:38:07
43 forum posts

Hi Paul,

I would strongly recommend the Steve Maskery DVD called [url=http://www.workshopessentials.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=53]Bandsaw Essentials[/url].

It'll take you through everything you need to know about setting up your bandsaw.

Thanks,

Neil

Ron Davis12/03/2012 17:24:27
1619 forum posts
201 photos

Hi Paul, if it wont cut straight then it is, as Derek hinted, it is the blade. I have a Metabo and on the whole a good saw, but I found that the best blades were from Hamilton Beaverstock.

There are a few things on a bandsaw that need to be right, as Dennis says check the guides, the side ones should run just behind the teeth of the blade, and the rear one a fag paper behind the blade, dont forget that there are two sets of these, one beneath the table.

Check the rise and fall and see that it does not push the blade to one side as you raise it. You may need to check the plate on top of this as it adjusts for any inaccuracies in the welding.

Make sure that the blade tension is right, as tight as you can and then back off a couple of turns.

Check the tracking, there is a knob of some sort at the back, turn the top wheel with your hand and adjust the tracking so the teeth of the blade runs just clear of the tyre, other wise you willblunt one side of the blade which will set the blade off on a cut of its own usually to your right.

Think why the blade jammed, was there any thing in the mechanism, or was one of the adjustments out, a slack blade will come off.

Best advice, spend a tenner with a decent supplier of blades and fit it, being careful of all of the adjustments, you will do it quicker with practice!

Ron

paul johnson 212/03/2012 18:04:40
197 forum posts
100 photos

May I start by saying thanks for your reply's, I will take all your advice onboard buy myself a new blade and hopefully it will be sorted,You have giving me more advice than the manual I will let you all know how i get on.

Regards Paul.

paul johnson 219/03/2012 20:54:41
197 forum posts
100 photos

Just a update replaced the blade today a hey presto sorted cutting like a good un,

Thanks Paul..

Derek Lane19/03/2012 22:09:52
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

Glad you are all sorted. It is just nice to be able to use a machine again

George Crable14/06/2012 19:48:57
7 forum posts

Glad everything’s ok now. It always helps to ask questions from different forum sites in solving our machine’s problems. I do that from time to time. If you get a chance, go to www.bandsawblog.com. I have found many answers both to my simple and complex band saw and saw blade questions from their informative articles.

Bruce Rauncar20/06/2012 17:40:03
173 forum posts

It also helps to ask questions from the experts from different forum sites. Recently, I found a thread regarding best band saw advice. That was very helpful for me.

Hats off to the founders and contributors of the sites!

Bart Garber25/07/2012 20:01:59
10 forum posts

Thank you for the link you posted George. They’re very informative. But nothing beats experience. Remember the saying “experience is the best teacher”? Newbies become experts because of experience. Just like what Bruce posted, experts’ advice are reliable source for answers. I hope experience will teach me how to become a fine expert.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Robert Sorby
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact