By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

HMSTrincomalee

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
George Arnold22/02/2012 20:09:18
1834 forum posts
191 photos

Dennis

We have followed with interest your work for the The Trincomalee, without knowing anything about the boat, how old it was and it's naval history.

It was interesting to find she is the oldest floating ship in the UK being built in Bombay from teak, launched in 1817 at a cost of £23000.

if any of you are interested take a look on the web site and you will find the full story.,if like me you had not heard about the boat you will find it very informative,

Carry on the good work Dennis,

George

dennis wake22/02/2012 22:41:49
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

thank you George

as George says the ship was built in 1817 and is a member of the royal navy museum and is mainly run by volunteers. here is there web site for you to have a look at.

http://www.hms-trincomalee.co.uk/

there is a lot of reading in the link for ships restoration.

happy reading

dennis

John Jane24/02/2012 23:19:16
13 forum posts

I remember her as HMS Foudroyant moored in Portsmouth harbour as a training vessel, we used to sail around her in 14ft RNSA dinghys from HMS St Vincent. If we got toooo close the cadets would pelt us with garbage!

John

John Jane24/02/2012 23:22:40
13 forum posts

I forogt to mention I have also visited her sister ship HMS Unicorn in Dundee.

dennis wake24/02/2012 23:49:57
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

hi John

it is nice to have a posting about somthing that is part of our history. the ship has had a lot of work done to her and is looking realy good.

dennis

colin allen03/03/2012 08:50:27
6 forum posts

hi dennis,

just a few words on the 'Trincomalee'.

it sounds great that people can find the time to rebuild history like that doesn't it.

here in sunny france down in Rochfort at the old Royal Dockyard there a replica of the L'Hermione is being built. this was the ship that took La Fayette to what was our colonies in america and there wage war on us .

the ship comes out of dry dock this july to be moved round to the masting dock and from there it will probably take another couple of years to get it ready for sea.

i have followed this project almost from the beginning and know a few facts about the craft also i have quite a few pictures.

colin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
D B Keighley
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact