Search for:  in Thread Title in  
sad sam06/02/2012 17:16:20
597 forum posts
234 photos
hi there
i have been having health problems over the past 18 months ie
itchy eyes sore throat skin irritations breathing problems ashtma like
runny nose to the extent my mate nick named me flu bug plus a rash of boils
the doctor has had me on several antibiotics and inhalers but they have been none to little good
recently i found a web site telling me the dangers of working with yew and guess what all my symtems are there
i have binned all the remainder of my yew i will not use it again
just thought i would let you all know how you may be affected by this wood
it says that people react differently to the wood

Mark Sutton06/02/2012 18:28:34
193 forum posts
59 photos
Hi Sam

I am sorry to hear about your illness,

I too suffered sometime ago, and found out i was allergic to Yew. Get better soon.

Mark
Big Al06/02/2012 18:41:40
1598 forum posts
73 photos
Never had a problem with yew, padauk does it to me!

Al
dennis wake06/02/2012 18:43:02
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Robby
sorry to here about your alments. as for the wood hope yew have saved some for me yew know i like the timber. will see yew on wednesday.
dennis
Roger Provins07/02/2012 07:27:09
23 forum posts
Yew does affect me slightly but more skin irritation than breathing. I once unknowingly got some shavings down a sock and that evening I found my foot was patchily bright red!

For me Iroko is the worst - brings on all the symptoms of impending flu.

Rog

Edited By Roger Provins on 07/02/2012 07:27:41

Oddjob07/02/2012 09:16:40
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Sam , I am very sorry to learn about your health problems. Are you sure that they were caused by yew wood? Have you had allergy tests to prove that it was the wood and not something completely different. The symptoms you describe could be caused by many things. Self diagnosis using the internet is unwise without the confirmation from a medical professional. Even if the symptoms go away now that you have got rid of the yew it does not prove that the wood was the cause. Why not ask your doctor to arrange allergy tests for you? You may be unnecessarily denying yourself the enjoyment of producing things from yew. Good luck.

Richard
Simon Reeves07/02/2012 13:02:35
622 forum posts
227 photos
Sorry to hear of your problems Sam. I'm a bit like Roger - iroko makes me cough and cough, but I seem to be OK with yew (so far anyway). As for padauk...

As was mentioned in a different thread, all parts of a yew are poisonous to some extent , but I agree with Richard about getting tested for a specific allergy to it. It would be a shame not to be able to use such a beautiful timber, but at least you could be sure. Hope the symptoms improve soon.

Simon
gerald meager07/02/2012 16:17:38
85 forum posts
2 photos
How much Yew have you got left and if any quantity are you selling it. Get well soon Ged
Toothy07/02/2012 19:57:36
458 forum posts
67 photos
Hi Sam
I have just read this thread (not been online for a while) and was reminded of similar cases close to home.
If working other woods dosen't cause the same problems, by default, it is yew that is the problem.
Get rid of it. Clean the work room thoroughly. use a good vacuum cleaner preferably one with a water filter (eg a Rainow type) all while wearing a good mask.
I have just lost a friend with lung cancer, nearly had two other friends incapacitated.
Otherwize enjoy your turning.

Toothy
Andrew07/02/2012 21:48:26
138 forum posts
124 photos
Oddjob, being in the medical profession, I can say that you can never get your skin tested for yew or anyother wood etc.. The best is to avoid those allergens. So, sadsam, stay away from yew and if that resolves the problem then you got your culprit.

Andrew.

Oddjob08/02/2012 19:57:58
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Andrew, I don't wish to make an issue of this but please be assured that you can get allergy tested for yew or for anything else for that matter. I have an asthmatic grandson who has been tested for allergic reaction to numerous materials - yew pollen amongst them! If you Google allergy testing you will see.

Richard
sad sam09/02/2012 10:27:41
597 forum posts
234 photos
hi all
sorry for the delay in replying but i have been busy
my problems are getting better now and i am 100% sure it is yew that iscausing all my problems so no more yew
i had two sacks of yew but gave it to a friend who will give some to denis hopefully two people who have been good to me so tit for tat as they say
thank you all for your concern and please if any of you are experiencing similar problems
leave the wood alone for a while and see if you improve
thankyou once more
sadsam

Oddjob09/02/2012 11:49:52
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Posted by sad sam on 09/02/2012 10:27:41: please if any of you are experiencing similar problems leave the wood alone for a while and see if you improve

Glad you are getting better Sam. That's good advice you are giving.

Richard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Chippendale
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact