By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Ebonised Hollow form

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mark Sutton01/02/2012 20:08:05
193 forum posts
59 photos
Good Evening, it has been a while since i posted something.

This is my first real attempt at ebonising, as i wanted to try something different as i don`t normally like to hide the charracter of the wood.
It is made from Lime. The area around the butterflies was highlighed with White spirit stain to highlight the grain and the motifs

It stands 8" high

As always C&C welcome

Ron Davis01/02/2012 20:19:17
1614 forum posts
201 photos
Very nice vase Mark, did you use a peel off to mask the butterfly?

Ron
Alan T.01/02/2012 23:14:38
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Mark, That's a super finish you've achieved on lime which isn't easy to do.Well done.Did you use the spray type of finish? Alan T.
Derek Lane01/02/2012 23:16:01
3218 forum posts
1004 photos
Like you Mark I don't like to hide the grain. A well turned piece and i like the butterflies not sure about the use of the white stain just does not look right
steve h02/02/2012 07:33:16
403 forum posts
128 photos

Actually - I really like the piece Mark -

Steve

Simon Reeves02/02/2012 12:50:27
622 forum posts
227 photos
I agree - a lovely piece there Mark. I find it's all too easy to spend ages perfecting the shape and proportion of your latest masterpiece, only to then spend much less time on the finish, with a less-than-perfect end result. Looks to me like you've got it dead right here.

Simon
Mark Sutton02/02/2012 19:55:54
193 forum posts
59 photos
Hi All

Many thanks for your kind comments, i tried to reply earlier, computers, don`t you just love them!!

Ron, i obtained the butterflies from a craft shop, cost was £1.50 for a sheet

Alan, if the piece was in your hand you would think it was porcelain, the wife loved it, as soon as she saw it, and she is my biggest critic. It took as long to finish as turning the item. Ii used Chestnut Ebonising laquer, but i have heard that you can use Matt black car spray (not Gloss), which has the same effect, but a lot cheaper.

Derek, i understand what you say, and i am sure we all experiment, with different techniques, it is the only way we learn our fantastic hobby.

I am sure the next one will be much better, and i can assure you i learnt a lot during the process of colouring with this piece.

Thank you again

Mark
sad sam02/02/2012 20:43:12
597 forum posts
234 photos
HI MARK
really nice work well done looks great

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tormek
Tool Post
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact