molasses

Derusting

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
George Arnold01/02/2012 20:02:57
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Hi all
Has any one tried to derust using mollases, I saw an article on derusting using malasses( forget comming to a sticky end Ron) I am going to give it a try, I don't think it is a very quick process, but it's cheap.
I also saw a method using a galvanised bucket and a battery charger, any one tried it, any information greatfully received.

George
Ron Davis01/02/2012 20:17:34
1607 forum posts
201 photos
George, you trying to sweeten me up?

I have not heard of using molasses, and a sticky end is exactly what I would expect there.

I have been tempted to try the soda and battery charger idea ever since I saw it in a GW somewhile ago, try looking up back numbers. It appears to only work in 'line of sight' which is in a direct line between the anode and the tool. You will have to turn it round now and again to get at it behind the ears!

If you can rescue a vintage tool then this will be the icing on the cake!

Ron

Derek Lane01/02/2012 23:12:28
3204 forum posts
990 photos
Hi George how bad is the rust. I use Citric acid to do mine. It can be brought from the chemist but they may ask what it is for.
Phil Temple09/04/2012 17:27:17
7 forum posts

Phosphoric acis is a rust eater, you can get it from most good car body and paint suppliers. Otherwise electrolysis works, and i dont think it is line of sight, but i do think you have to do the x axis then the y axis to get best results.

Phil

Edited By Phil Temple on 09/04/2012 17:27:31

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Tormek
Chippendale
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact