By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

segmented fruit bowl

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
dennis wake23/01/2012 22:00:59
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

over the last week i have been cutting and sanding all the segments for this fruit bowl. the top ring has been cut using a ban saw. the other segments are cut with a chop saw. they are 97 segments to it. if you look at the base it looks as if it is segments but it is from a kitchen work top.

comments please
dennis
Derek Lane23/01/2012 22:03:35
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Very nice as usual dennis I do like the top rim and the way you have done it. Keep up the good work
dennis wake23/01/2012 22:11:29
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Derek
thank you for your comments. the top was cut at my woodturning club as i haven't got a ban saw and the clubs had just been set up and needed to be tried out so give them a right good challenge. the bowl was hard to turn as most of the wood was dry. i have finished with a spray lacquer, i have not had a go with this before so hope it dries out well.
dennis
Simon Reeves24/01/2012 12:42:54
622 forum posts
227 photos
Wow Dennis! Another great piece. I still haven't plucked up the courage (and probably not the skill either!) to have a go at one of these, but maybe one day. Keep 'em coming.

Simon
dennis wake24/01/2012 16:04:45
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Simon
thank you for your comments. if i can do the segmented turning then you can it is all about the preparation work and a setup jig from Sue harker.
dennis
Ron Davis24/01/2012 19:49:24
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Nice one Dennis, good to see you doing segmented work again ater your craft fair and Tricomalee work.

Ron
Sam24/01/2012 22:52:32
386 forum posts
110 photos
Very nice Dennis , and I can only Echo what others have said about the rim , It must have taken a long time to get those sort of matches / scribes

Kind regards Sam
dennis wake24/01/2012 23:27:28
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Ron and Sam
thank you for your comments. i took the bowl into work today and showed it of and i may have another 2 to do.
as for the rim all you need to do to get the joints to match is cut 2 lengths of contrasting wood( already planned and thickness) to a usable length in this case 100mm. use double sided tape and join the 2 together on top of each other. mark center and draw a flowing line through the center line and center point. do this for all the segments needed for the top ring don't forget to mark them with a number on the left and right so as to match later. using the band saw with a blade that will cut round the line in one move so as not to put any gaps in. when you have cut all the segments split the 2 parts top and bottom from the double sided tap and then join the top left to the bottom right ( they should match with no gap if you have cut with care) then just use PVA glue and end pressure with a clamp. then all you need to do is mark the segment for cutting size using the center to work both ways to centralize the design. cut sand and then glue clamp using jubilee clips to keep the joints together
dennis
steve h25/01/2012 10:55:58
403 forum posts
128 photos

Hi Dennis,

Can you drop me that link please on your "how to" for segmented turning - I have been looking through posts and your gallery but have been unable to locate it -

I really like your work and fancy having a go at some myself.

Thanks

Steve

dennis wake25/01/2012 17:39:26
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Steve PM sent
here for others is the link to sue harkers web site and her open segmenting jigs.
dennis

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Tormek
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact