By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Just clocked this one

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Derek Lane22/01/2012 16:03:53
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Paul don''t know how I missed this. Fantastic piece of work.
How big is it what wood is it made from and how long did it take. The reason for all the questions is that I have 6 sets of plans for clocks and have always fancied making one
Paul Batho25/01/2012 14:36:16
9 forum posts
23 photos
Derek,

Thanks for the intrest. The diameter of the Oak face is 39 cm, which will give you an idea of the overall size. The working parts, gears, frame etc are made from White Beech, although I did make the bearing bushes out of PTFE rod, a supprisingly easy material to work on a woodworking lathe, although fiddly becasuse of the small size.
I would definatly recommend making a clock, it is a lot of work, but very satisfying to see and hear it ticking away.
I have been working on the clock for just over a year, although only a few hours per week. I am now making a long case to house it in.

Derek Lane25/01/2012 18:45:26
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Why would you want to put this in a housing unless you intend to have a glass front . I think hiding all the good work you have done here will be a shame
Doug25/01/2012 18:52:16
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Hi Paul,
I agree with Derek, an excellent piece, did you work from a plan ? Also could I ask how you cut the gears.

Cheers.

Doug.
Paul Batho26/01/2012 16:57:37
9 forum posts
23 photos
Derek,
You are quite right, I intend to incorporate plenty of glass in the front and sides of my long case housing.

Doug,
I designed the clock myself using a PC drawing package to produce piece part and assembly drawings, but based on a skeleton wall clock I bought in Germany many years ago.
I cut the gears by mounting a small precision rotory table on the outboard side of the headstock of my lathe (so that the gear wheel could be incremented by whatever angle was necessary for the number of teeth required), and made a jig to mount a small router at 90 deg to the axis of the lathe, and free to move along the axis to cut initially V grooves in the gear wheel. The gear teeth profiles were finished by hand (needle file). Fortunatly for most of the gear train it dosn't matter if there is quite significant backlash, as the gears are always driven in the same direction. The gears driving the hour hand did however need to be fairly good regarding backlash. I will add a few more photos to the album.

Mailee26/01/2012 23:50:43
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
Absolutely brilliant. Now that is craftsmanship. How long did it take to make? It will look beautiful in a long case with the mechanism on display, do please post the pics when you do.
Simon Reeves27/01/2012 12:58:27
622 forum posts
227 photos
Couldn't agree more Mailee - brilliant bit of craftsmanship and jig design Paul. I think the only trouble is if I were to start one, SWMBO would want it ready in a couple of weekends .

Look forward to seeing more photos. The ones in the album look simple, but belie the skill and patience needed to make a complex mechanism like this. Great stuff.

Simon

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Robert Sorby
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact