By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Elm

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sam18/01/2012 21:37:37
386 forum posts
110 photos
Good Evening all . I have recently acquired Some 4 foot lengths of Elm log , each about 300mm diameter . I was about to take it to my local sawmill to plank , then it was pointed out to me it may well be Witch Elm ........Now lye's the problem ....Is it still worth planking for use later or is it not worth bothering with .

I know about the Elm disease and how 99.9% of elm had to be felled and I even have one in my garden that just reached 15 foot and is now infected by the little blighters . It was a lone standing tree but had to be felled because of power lines so may have been lucky to survive the years or as I was told it may be Witch Elm which was not affected .

Any info would be appreciated .

Kind Regards Sam
Brianhr20/01/2012 20:59:48
22 forum posts
Have a look at this http://www.british-trees.com/treeguide/elms/nhmsys0000464701
It will tell you all you need to know about Wych Elm .

My understanding is that the elm bark beetle only affects trees over about 12ft high! There is some evidence of a resistant strain so we may get them in time (but probably not in my time).

Brian
Sam06/02/2012 21:04:45
386 forum posts
110 photos
Sorry Brian , only just noticed you had posted a reply and link . Many thanks for doing that and it was very useful ..

Kind regards Sam

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Tool Post
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact