By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Ironmongery Direct

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
JoinerLover06/01/2012 10:39:57
6 forum posts
I'm new to this lark.
Just thought i'd post and see if any of you guys have used Ironmongery direct?
I used them recently and was impressed. Big range plus screws and sealants. Was using Screwfix but I think I am converted.
Mailee07/01/2012 00:25:21
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
Yes I use Ironmongery direct. I find them reasonably priced for some things and they carry more stock than screwfix. Delivery is always quick too which is a bonus.
George Arnold08/01/2012 19:05:21
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Isn't it Ironmongery Direct that have just sold out to Travis& Perkins/Wickes group. Screwfix are part of the B&Q group, I don't know if it will make any difference to their service.

George
JoinerLover09/01/2012 09:19:16
6 forum posts
I think it's Toolstation that have just sold to Travis. I hate Toolstation.
I've just seen that IronmongeryDirect have a new catalogue out. Must order another one to keep in the bathroom for toilet reading!!
Brianhr20/01/2012 13:53:48
22 forum posts
The founder of Screwfix sold out and made a bundle. He then created Toolstation and made a lot more when he sold out to Travis Perking/Wickes. Can we look forward to a new kid on the block or even better sell his expertise to Rutlands.

By the way don't be fooled by Ironmongery Direct's offer of a trade account. It's no such thing. It is just a credit account which has to be paid off at the end of the month. You might as well use your credit card.
Sam20/01/2012 16:18:45
386 forum posts
110 photos
My father used to supply fixings to screwfix when it just started out in a little shop in yeovil , going back some years now . The guy who owned screwfix as you said sold out and made a mint . He then gave both his sons a sizable chunk of cash and one of them set up toolstation and the other set up that horrendous tools supplier Silverline .

Personaly I use Iron Mongery direct for my needs but do dip in to Screwfix for the odd thing but they are rubbish with stock control and rarely have 60% of what I go in for .

Cheers
JoinerLover20/01/2012 16:27:14
6 forum posts
Me too! My screwfix counter never has what I want in stock plus all I see are blokes buying rubbish own brand stuff like their Titan power tools. Shocking! And even if I do order over the phone, it's rarely delivered on time.

Ironmongery direct have got it right. Next day delivery on time, no fuss, bish bash bosh. Lets hope it continues.
Woody Al06/02/2012 09:16:11
98 forum posts
I've had some bad experiences with Ironmongery Direct. Some of their own brand fittings are very badly made and they are not cheap either. When I've tried to sort out problems with their customer service they haven't even bothered to reply. To date I've sent them four or five emails along with photos detailing problems and they haven't bothered to reply once.

I won't be using Ironmongery Direct again. Very poor service!

Edited By Albert Wickes on 06/02/2012 09:16:53

Simon Boyd19/06/2012 18:30:30
1 forum posts

I too had bad experiences with ID - slow to respond by email.

I find Door Furniture Direct has a pretty good range. Fantastic customer service too.

Geoffrey14/07/2012 09:07:24
10 forum posts

I've used Ironmongery Direct for a few years. The service I have received has always been excellent. This week I ordered three items. I had a phone call to say one was not in stock should be still deliver the other two on Friday as requested so I said yes. I then had another phone call to say the third item had come into stock and there was still time to arrange posting also for Friday delivery, was that ok? All arrived on Friday and all exatly what I wanted

Woody Al16/07/2012 08:33:17
98 forum posts

I have had some good experiences with Ironmongery Direct too. They are great when there are no problems to sort out. But when something goes wrong the service, in my experience, is next to useless. I have several expensive cabinet products (Ironmongery Direct own brand to value of approximately £500) which failed almost immediatly due to poor manufacture, bits not fitting etc. It's been over a year now and no solution has come from Ironmongery Direct. I've called them numerous times but still nothing. Very dissapointing service.

On this basis I would not use them again. I would certainly never buy any of their own brand products.

Michelle Brigden14/08/2012 22:45:50
2 forum posts
Posted by Albert Wickes on 16/07/2012 08:33:17:

I have had some good experiences with Ironmongery Direct too. They are great when there are no problems to sort out. But when something goes wrong the service, in my experience, is next to useless. I have several expensive cabinet products (Ironmongery Direct own brand to value of approximately £500) which failed almost immediatly due to poor manufacture, bits not fitting etc. It's been over a year now and no solution has come from Ironmongery Direct. I've called them numerous times but still nothing. Very dissapointing service.

On this basis I would not use them again. I would certainly never buy any of their own brand products.

Hello,

I am Michelle, I am the Contact Centre Manager at IronmongeryDirect.

I am very sad to have read about your experiences and would like to discuss these with you at your earliest convienience.

Please could I ask that you call me on 01268 723000, so that I can personally look into these issues further.

Kind regards,

Michelle.

Michelle Brigden14/08/2012 23:06:51
2 forum posts
Posted by Simon Boyd on 19/06/2012 18:30:30:

I too had bad experiences with ID - slow to respond by email.

I find Door Furniture Direct has a pretty good range. Fantastic customer service too.

Hello,

I am Michelle, I am the Contact Centre Manager at IronmongeryDirect.

I am disappointed to have read about the poor service you have received.

I would like the opportunity to understand more about your experience so that I can make improvements where necessary.

Please could I ask that you call me on 01268 723000 or email me directly at michelle.brigden@ironmongerydirect.com

Kind regards,

Michelle.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tormek
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact