By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

First Colouring

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Derek Lane17/12/2011 18:05:11
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Thought i would have a go at adding colour and texture to my turnings. This is the end result above and 2 more views bottom showing the small foot and one of the inside
Steve J W17/12/2011 18:14:44
137 forum posts
9 photos
thats very nice, did you use the foot to hold it in the chuck?
Mark Sutton18/12/2011 10:00:39
193 forum posts
59 photos
Hi Derek

This looks very nice, i like what you have done with the foot, it raises the piece and does not distract you from the main form. Very well finished.

Well done

Mark
Derek Lane18/12/2011 10:40:58
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Thank you both for the comments.

Steve the foot was larger than this I then cut it back to the height you see here for the reason that Mark has pointed out it is only small as the whole thing is only 4 1/4" tall. Also forgot to put the wood it is cherry
Oddjob18/12/2011 13:55:53
1635 forum posts
79 photos
That is very nice Derek. Well balanced shape and the coloured/textured band is set off nicely by the feint dark lines.
Tell us how you did the texture and colouring please.

Richard
Derek Lane18/12/2011 15:08:10
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Hi Richard the texturing and colouring was done as follows

1. Mark out the area that you want to texture and colour I used a pencil with the piece turning.
2. I used the Robert Sorby textuing tool and with the wheel tilted to about 5deg to the right of vertical run this between the lines backward and forward until the desired effect is achieved.
3. Using a skew chisel score the lines either side of this area to highlight it.
4. Onto the colouring to start with use masking tape to mask the textured area cutting any excess off at the line nearest to the texturing
5. Give the rest of the turned item a light coat of sander sealer ( I used cellulose sander sealer) 2 if you use very thin coats
6. Remove the tape and now mask off the turned item up to the texturing, so that all that is exposed is the texturing which has not had any sealer on it.
7. Colour as you see fit, I used spirit stain
8. Give this a light sanding to take off the stain from the high spots.
9. Now give this a seal with the sander sealer
10. remove the masking tape and seal all the turning with another coat of sealer then finish as you please.

Hope this explanation makes sense Richard. If you would like a wip next time just let me know and I will try and do one

paul johnson 218/12/2011 18:11:13
197 forum posts
100 photos
Very nice indeed Derek Iv'e just started doing a bit of colouring myself did you use a brush to apply the stain or did you use a deffuser,

thanks Paul
Derek Lane18/12/2011 18:31:33
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Hi Paul neither I applied it with a paper towel and dabbed it on as if you where to wipe it on the towel would leave bits all over it.
Forgot to say don't overload with the stain otherwise it may creep

Edited By Derek Lane on 18/12/2011 18:32:36

dennis wake18/12/2011 21:31:01
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Derek
looks good i always like cherry it is so silky to finish.
well done.
dennis
BillW18/12/2011 22:16:17
711 forum posts
21 photos
Absolutely brilliant Derek,
Normally I'm not very keen on decorated turnings but I think you have done this very sympathetically, most decorated pieces I've seen are OTT for the sake of OTT.

All the rest is what we have come to expect from you, quality of turning and finish.

Bill.
Paul Bodiam19/12/2011 12:35:39
108 forum posts
68 photos
Fantastic piece of work, Derek.
I've come over all inspired to try something similar myself

How did you reduce the foot? I wouldn't have thought that the rim would lend itself to a jam-chuck - it looks too delicate.

cheers
Paul
Simon Reeves19/12/2011 12:50:58
622 forum posts
227 photos
Very nice piece Derek - it has a certain oriental look to it. I agree with Bill that it's all too easy to overdo colouring and either detract from the figuring in the timber, or even cover it completely. This one is just right I think.

Simon
Derek Lane19/12/2011 15:02:11
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Thank you all

Dennis
I agree it does finish nice started sanding this piece at 240grit

Bill and Simon
Yes I agree as well. I am experimenting with colour and other things I do like to see some wood showing.

Paul
I parted the foot about 1/4" with a parting tool then used my cole jaws on the inside but with a gentle grip just enough to hole it firm but not enough to do any damage and with light cuts trimmed the foot to it's final size. You could use a jam chuck but don't knock it on to tight and take very light cuts. Like most things a little patience will bring the results
Julian19/12/2011 19:46:00
553 forum posts
28 photos
Very nicely done derek, I was watching Les Thorne down at Yandles in September doing his colouring and he makes it look easy but I am sure it's not. -- Julian
Les Hetherington20/12/2011 08:35:15
145 forum posts
53 photos
Nice bit of turning Derek, i think that the shape and size are complemented by the part that you have textured and couloured in mate.
All the best Les

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Craft Supplies
Triton
Transwave 2017
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Marriott & Co
Wood Workers Workshop
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact