By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

CYCLONE FAILURE!!!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
daveO15/12/2011 16:50:54
250 forum posts
32 photos
OH GUYS
After talk and ideas of improvements to my collector, this morning I removed the inlet pipe and replaced it with one that was cut square ended. The intent of this was to try and stop the light dust reaching the filter by creating more of a "swirl"
inside.
So on completion I again emptied the bin on the shop floor and went to clean it back up as a test, when almost finished I must of either almost or completely had the suction nozzle flat to the shop floor. There was then an instant bang, the resulting reason is shown below.

Yep the bitch imploded.

Now I recall reading about this on the cyclone central web site, in the "be aware" notes they do warn of this problem, in that they state that there kit is designed to work with low pressure extractors, and if connected to HP gear
it could cause implosion of the main vessel in the event of an inlet blockage

They then go on to say that if you wish to connect to HP extractors that the following should be observed.
To bore a 6mm dia hole in the lid of the dump bin or in thr top of the cylone, then securely tape a piece of cling film over the hole, then in the event of blockage the film will split and allow air in thus reducing the vaccum build up.
So airing on the side of caution I did this but used a 12mm hole covered and taped the film and guess what , yes under blockage the bin imploded again the cling film still in tact. I even tried with no film at all leaving the hole open and the side still pulled in. So as I speak the only way i can get the unit to work is to have two pieces of steel box section bonded halfway down the inside of the drum at ninety degrees to each other to act as bracings and to leave the vent hole open at all times, then under partial blockage the unit stands up to the vaccum.
can anyone please come up with a solution to the relief valve sanario and prefrably a cheap one bearing in mind that up to now this whole project has cost me three quid

cheers dvae
Ron Davis15/12/2011 20:15:46
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Hi Dave, at 14.7 pounds per square inch there must be several tons pressure on your drum when you suck the air out, so it is not surprising that it was sucked in!

I think the 6 and 12 mm holes are not big enough to allow the air to go in at the rate it is sucked out, one way would be to have cut outs on the suction nozzle, or a brush that comes with the vac, and then you should avoid the sealing of the end which caused your problem, as you say it still happens then I can only think you have a blockage in the flexible pipe, my favourit trick there is to push a broom handle through it.

Looking at your earlier photo, I thought that if the cutaway was placed so that the dust hit the side of the drum then it would fall down quicker because when the dust hits the wall it loses energy and drops.

Good luck with it you really do not need any more expense this side of Christmas!

Ron
daveO16/12/2011 16:34:29
250 forum posts
32 photos
ron
thanks, i had considered making the hole in the bin equal size to the inlet pipe and then using the cling film idea- but then thought that if they are equal posibly the slightest of restriction would blow the film, and I would be forever replacing it,what do you think?.

With the inlet I assume you are meaning to turn it at 180 dergrees so the dust hits the wall
I will try that,and now thinking about it I think that is what steve h was suggesting as well

dave
Ron Davis16/12/2011 19:48:10
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Hi Dave, yes turn the pipe to the side and it should work better.

The problem with collapsing the tub is that you completely block the inlet, so if you can allow some air in then the tub should be ok, look at the tools with a vac and you will see that they have some means of allowing air even if the nozzle is blocked.

Ron
Paul Jones 417/12/2011 00:49:56
45 forum posts
1 photos

How about trying to convert what you have to something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6j-psU1aWs&feature=fvwrel

If it does fail, it will fail at the weakest part, that being the plastic cup construction.

Paul

daveO18/12/2011 17:21:03
250 forum posts
32 photos
ron have made the mod and yes it does work better theres now bearly any residue on the filter, I also increased the hole in the drum to 25mm and used the cling film idea and it now fractures if the tube is blocked
so cheers for that mate
paul thanks for the link I think if it fails now I will convert it back to a water buith with a built in overflow

thanks all for the advice
dave

Edited By daveO on 18/12/2011 17:22:15

Derek Lane04/01/2012 17:07:53
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
A little late for this but I found this which may help some of you
HERE you will need to read a little to find the dust collection box.
Look in the box marked Overview and click on MORE there is a link there for plans of a dust collection box.

Ron Davis04/01/2012 20:07:21
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Thats the point I was trying tomake, the inlet and out let on the barell circulate the dust and chippings.

Great to have someone like Derek on the forum

Ron
New Brit Workshop31/01/2012 17:47:48
11 forum posts
Dear Dave

I have a possible solution for you...

I have designed a pressure relief valves which you can make in minutes for under £1.

You can find a video showing you what to do on YouTube. Visit my channel at...

Make sure the magnet is the right strength - mine has a 1 kg pull. Also, test it to ensure that it is right for you - just in case.

Let me know if this helps.

Peter
Ron Davis31/01/2012 19:35:41
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Thanks Peter, that should do it

Ron
daveO01/02/2012 16:53:55
250 forum posts
32 photos
peter
well done,first i watched the video and then got to work, job done
works every time
thanks peter
regards
dave

Edited By daveO on 01/02/2012 16:54:42

New Brit Workshop02/02/2012 10:34:54
11 forum posts
Dear Dave

Fantastic and thank you for letting me know that it worked. Let me know if you need help again.

Peter

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
D&M Tools
Tormek
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact