By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

a bit heath robinson-but it works

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
daveO11/12/2011 17:10:44
250 forum posts
32 photos
following recent strings on dust extraction, and talk of steve h's cyclone and the likes I was insired and decided to reseach the subject. I found an array of home made collectors an cyclones, one of which was actually made using a domestic wheelie bin, I at first thought that was'nt very practical -but fast realised at least it will gaet emptied once a fortnight .
so the pics below are what I came up with

the bin itself I srounged some time ago to use as a water butt it has a strong toggle strap, giving for a good seal, the inlet is a pieace of 40mm waste pipe
reduced down to 32mm. the outlet is a 40mm knuckle bend again reduced
on the underside of the lid I boned a length of square rain water down pipe

here is the inside showing the inlet finishing on an angle and although you can't see now the pics been re-sized the dust is sitting in a swirled affect, just as a natural weather cyclone would create on the ground.
the whole lot is connected to a henry hoover.
on test I emptied the henry out on to the shop floor, gave the filter a good clean and then cleaned the dust back up. On inspection the dust was in the bin and there was nothing in the henry except for a fine coating on the filter, but the motor side of the filter and indeed the motor housing were completely clean
I'm sure there must be something passing the filter but as the henry is sat in an enclosed cupboard under the router bench and as the bech extracts from below the table as well as above hopefully anythig passing the filter will be constantly re-circulated through the system- so there you ave it
but if anyone out there has built similar and can see a mistake please say
regards dave

Derek Lane11/12/2011 17:44:03
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Nice one Dave it seems to work in the main. How far down is the the down pipe if it is too low maybe it is collecting up the finer dust. Hope this makes sense. Watching with interest as I have one of these containers and thinking of doing the same
daveO11/12/2011 17:59:07
250 forum posts
32 photos
derek
itself is 800mm high
and the the down pipe is about 330mm long , so yes it could make a difference but as i had not got any woking dims i guessed this and assumed the pipe needs to be well below the inlet what do you think
dave
Derek Lane11/12/2011 18:02:36
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Seems high enough.

I did see somewhere on the internet a build of one like this but for the life of me can't remember where(always the way). If I find it will let you know
daveO11/12/2011 18:08:37
250 forum posts
32 photos
derek
thanks and keep me posted- maybe some one else might have a comment later
dave
Alan T.12/12/2011 20:03:47
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Dave, I have been having a few discussions with Bill Warmisham about the construction of a cyclone to insert before my Axminster chip collector. I have this very day ordered a flat pack kit from cyclonecentral.co.uk When I have put it together I will post pics etc. Your version looks good and it works. Alan T
daveO13/12/2011 16:20:59
250 forum posts
32 photos
cheers alan
will be pleased to see your kit made up.
I not sure if I can actually class my version as a cyclone as it does not have that conical
bottom, although not sure- I've just seen similar in a litre version made by triton they call it a dump bin. but will be keen to know if a true cyclone stops all the dust as mine is'nt doing if you get my drift

regards dave
steve h13/12/2011 23:18:01
403 forum posts
128 photos
Hi Dave,

Very good, looks very similar to the second one I made - I found the biggest problem was the bonding in the lid of the outfeed pipe kept breaking away - but great results!

The Henry's are powerful little machines that generate good airspeed, which seems very important - according to Mr Pentz?

A suggestion Dave (I am not at all being critical!!) - should the infeed pipe have the aperture turned towards the wall of the dump bin, that way you are forcing the air to pass around the internal wall, which should increase the cyclonic effect?? If its well glued - don't move it!!

I think the less turbulent the air, allows the particles to drop and cleaner air pulled through to the extractor - Where is Mr Pentz's manual again??

Alan - please post some pictures of the flat pack cyclone and how easy it is to put together - I would like another unit for my earlex vac to keep the bulk away from the filter.

Steve.
BillW13/12/2011 23:27:54
711 forum posts
21 photos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXs7UtQMZtA&feature=youtu.be
steve h13/12/2011 23:52:21
403 forum posts
128 photos
Very good link Bill - "It does what is says on the tin"!!

Steve
daveO14/12/2011 16:35:54
250 forum posts
32 photos
hi steve
thanks for the comments, the inlet was cut at an angle simplybecause thats hoe I saw them in the pics on the web, however when alan mentioned he'd order a cyclone iwent to there site and in the build instructions it clearly showed the inlet pipe cut square ended, of which made me wonder on that bit, and as you have now raised the point i will try it cut square, as far as the bonding is concerned I roughed up the plastics first with abrasive and used hot glue and its solid.
will let you no if the alteration works
dave

Edited By daveO on 14/12/2011 16:36:45

daveO15/12/2011 16:57:28
250 forum posts
32 photos
thred closed
please refer to
"CYCLONE FAILURE"

DAVE

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Tormek
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact