By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Done! Finished! Hurrah! Yippee!

Workshop operational and ready for action??

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
steve h01/12/2011 13:48:03
403 forum posts
128 photos

Picture above taken from the side access door.

To the right of the corner unit is where the up and over door is - behind the paneling!

Where my extractor sits with my cyclone pre-separator

I even managed to do a little turning last night - for the first time in five months - I had nearly forgotten how to do it!

Loads of room now - Think she is expecting me to swing into action now??

Steve

Alan T.01/12/2011 14:53:47
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Steve, I am not the only one green with envy. Well done with all the effort. What does the cyclone pre separator consist of and could a half competent engineering type make one. If not where from and how much do they cost. Cheers Alan T.
daveO01/12/2011 16:23:46
250 forum posts
32 photos
hi steve
all looks very clean and tidy at the moment- i wonder how long for, but great job.
and Im with alan please tell more about this cyclone setup.
regards dave
Andrew01/12/2011 16:48:15
138 forum posts
124 photos
Great looking workshop. I wish.....

Andrew
BillW01/12/2011 16:49:08
711 forum posts
21 photos
Ee by eck Lad, that's grand, your going to have to do a lot of work to keep her indoors happy.

I'm sure Steve will be by to answer your questions on cyclones, in the mean time I spotted this DIY Flat Pack Cyclone the other day.

Bill.
sad sam01/12/2011 18:41:01
609 forum posts
251 photos
hi steve
well done looks great is it a double square garage?
can you explain what a cyclone does and what the advantage is i have a 63mm pipe system fixed to a double motor record 4000 extrator would a cyclone be of use?
Derek Lane01/12/2011 22:36:05
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
I want a workshop that big I am now going to stamp my feet

Great looking workshop Steve
Mailee01/12/2011 23:51:55
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
That does look a nice workshop Steve. Will it stay that clean or end up like mine covered in sawdust. LOL!
steve h02/12/2011 10:19:26
403 forum posts
128 photos

Yes - I realise that I am a very, very lucky lad who has a very understanding wife!!

When we moved back in July, part of the moving 'allowance' was set aside for me to convert the garage into my workshop.

You don't think I am going to use it and get it all dusty Mailee??

For those that are interested in cyclones - I have done quite a bit of research, but my knowledge is really only very limited compared to some of the guys out there. I know that some of the forum members have them.

Basically, the cyclone is the 'V' shaped unit sat on top of the drum next to my extractor. The extractor pulls the air through the cyclone first, which sends dust, wood chips etc spiraling outwards against the wall and down into the dump bin at the bottom and clean air is pulled through to the extractor as normal.

The benefit is - is that very little gets through to the actual extractor, giving you much cleaner filters and improved extraction.

On Wednesday evening (the first day I had full electrics), i did some turning for the first time, which always produces lots of sawdust etc - I cleaned this all up using my extraction system and you can see that there is nothing in the bag at the bottom of the extractor where it all normally goes!

There is a whole raft of information out there and although I did have a go at making my own, with various levels of success, I succumb to purchasing one through Oneida - who used to advertise through this site at one time.

In particular response to Sam - your Record twin motor sounds remarkably similar to my Camvac twin motor system - mine runs really well with both motors switch on at the same time ( I also use the same sized ducting) - it should work perfect on yours.

It is very technical really, but thats all taken care of by Oneida, as long as you have good airspeed on your extractor it should be fine.  

Just type 'cyclone' into the keyword search on this site or google Bill Pentz - who appears to have been very influential and one of the first people do have set this up for the home workshop.

Hope this helps

Steve

Edited By steve h on 02/12/2011 10:32:06

Simon Reeves02/12/2011 12:52:44
622 forum posts
227 photos
Looks like there's a place for everything here Steve, and it's all well laid out for working too. The only problem I can see is that you don't have anywhere near enough clamps (but it's coming up to Christmas really soon!!)

Simon
Oddjob02/12/2011 13:17:21
1635 forum posts
79 photos
I am not envious, I am not envious, I am not envious, I am not envious, I am not envious, I am not envious, I am not envious, I am not envious, I am not envious, I am not envious, I am not envious, I am not envious, I am not envious, I am not envious, I am not envious There I've said it lots of times and I still am!!!!!!!

Brilliant.

Richard
steve h02/12/2011 13:19:27
403 forum posts
128 photos
That's very kind of you to offer Simon - what's my budget?
steve h02/12/2011 13:21:21
403 forum posts
128 photos
Thanks Richard - I did say I was a lucky lad - Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry - probably does not make you feel any better - SORRY!
steve h02/12/2011 13:26:04
403 forum posts
128 photos

I shouldn't really apologise Richard - as your skills are far superior to mine and I need all these toys to help me!

Nice workshop - crap skills!

Steve!

daveO02/12/2011 17:01:28
250 forum posts
32 photos
steve
thanks for that, just googled bill pentz- now theres some bedtime reading cheers

dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Triton
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact