By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

veneering

small box

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
small shed28/11/2011 15:35:54
16 forum posts
Hi to everyone,

Would anybody be able to help. I am quite new to woodworking.
The help i need is . How do you put veneer on a box, all sides and top , do i build it first , or after it has been veneered.
I was thinking how to clamp it, after it was built.
any advice would be great.

small shed
Gerrybhoy28/11/2011 16:20:04
104 forum posts
55 photos
Hi small shed.

I only ever tried veneering when I was at college, but the way I was shown was to do it all before the final build unless you want to cover the joints.

My own opinion is to do whatever you find the easiest & gives you the best result.

Gerry
Derek Lane28/11/2011 17:16:36
3204 forum posts
990 photos
There are glues which are activated by heat. You use a iron (not the good ladies) and a block of wood to press down and rub the veneer. Ideal for flat surface boxes. The veneer will need to be applied before you fit any of the box furniture so that when you do fit it is level to the veneer.
Hope this makes sense.
small shed29/11/2011 10:06:12
16 forum posts
Thank's for the reply,
If i made a box with dovetail joints, but wanted to put veneer on all side's , and show the joint's would i need to build after putting the veneer on. It will all be new to me you see,
but i want to try.

small shed
Simon Reeves29/11/2011 12:52:31
622 forum posts
227 photos
Hi Smallshed

If you look on the home page of the site and find the "What's new on GWTV" section, follow the More Video "Click here" link and scroll down the articles you will find a series on basic veneering techniques by Peter Dunsmore, which is very instructive. If you've not done any before I would recommend having a look at the whole series.

Simon
Eric Harvey 129/11/2011 12:53:21
221 forum posts
81 photos
The only trouble with showing veneered dovetail joints is they look a bit crap,scuse my french,as it shows all the edges of the veneers,and the wood your trying to hide with the veneer,your better off making hidden dovetails,then veneering the box,I know you won`t see them,BUT you know they are there,regards,

Eric.
John Kinch29/11/2011 13:00:27
206 forum posts
91 photos
Hi, yes it is best to veneer first and allow for additional thickness when cutting dovetails.For sticking veneer to panels I found best method was to use double-sided sticky tape made for this purpose.It comes off a roll so you buy it by the metre. Cut out a piece slightly bigger than your panel,remove the backing sheet and stick it to the panel and iron it on (not too hot,use wool setting on domestic iron.). Trim to size with a sharp scalpel. Repeat on all faces to be veneered,then start assembly. Always keep apiece of the shiny release coat between the iron and the panels,it helps the iron to slide over the surface. After applying the iron follow it along with a piece of wood to press the veneer down and to cool it down or the veneer will want to lift off again.
Hope you can follow all that and good luck. Practise on a few scraps first.
John K.
small shed29/11/2011 14:50:59
16 forum posts
thank's to all.
There is loads of info for me there. Thank's simon i have looked at the Peter Dunsmore article is is really good for me , i will try and follow his video i am going to do some on scrap wood first.
Thank's everyone.

smallshed

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact