By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Setting a planer???

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Drew Marsh24/11/2011 19:42:26
52 forum posts
26 photos
Wonder if anyone can help...

Im trying to set up my planer on a combination machine; when attempting to plane one edge I am finding that the edge arcs inwards towards the middle... can anyone offer any advice to why this may be? I'm sure the blade is set correct however I am unsure with the alignment/ height difference between the feed and exit table tops... could this be the root cause???

Any advice welcomed....
Derek Lane24/11/2011 20:09:49
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
A little more information about the planer may help with people coming forward with advice ie; what make and the model maybe a diagram of what it is doing to the wood.
To start with are the blades adjusted correctly to the outfeed table if not sure have a read of the instructions on how to set up correctly

Hope this will be a start
Drew Marsh24/11/2011 20:48:52
52 forum posts
26 photos
a picture speaks a thousand words....

Wood is touching at either end but theres is a gap in the middle.

Seems to bend the wood on when passing through the thicknesser, worse on small pieces like the ones shown above.
Planer is an awd' Luna 40. I can not find any documentation on the machine. The machine itself has had a full set of new belts and would be perfect if I could just sort the planer side of things.

Hope this helps....

BillW24/11/2011 20:58:28
711 forum posts
21 photos
Hi Drew,

Have a read of this post
no matter what the manufacturer says be prepared to experiment to get the best compromise.
Ah (no manual) so you don't know what is recommended, try what is in the above post.

Let us know how you get on.

Bill.
Ralph Harvey24/11/2011 22:14:34
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
That would more likely be the outfeed table is set wrong,

As the timber comes off the blades if the table drops off the timber will ark, check and adjust the table is parralel with the infeed table, parralel but obveously the thickness of the cut lower

Ralph
Eric Harvey 125/11/2011 15:52:01
221 forum posts
81 photos
also,you could try putting a suport under the wood before it gets to the infeed table,if it hasn`t got cast iron tables you can get warping of the tables themselves and extra suport either end for the wood can eliminate the problem you have,regards,

Eric.
paul wagstaffe26/11/2011 05:32:04
107 forum posts
11 photos
Hi Drew, as Bill has directed you to my post I had a variety of similar problems with my machine and setting the blades to the same height as the out feed table solved just about all of them.
One other thing to check is make sure your blades are nice and sharp.

Regards
Paul
Julian26/11/2011 12:05:58
556 forum posts
28 photos
Hi Drew, As has been previously said you need to ensure that when the planer is set to zero both the infeed and outfeed table are perfectly aligned. Do this with a straight edge, they also need to be perfectly flat (no warping). If there is a slight difference then you will need to pad out the misaligned unit. Once this has been done make sure that the blades are set level with the outfeed table. When you are planning don't put too much pressure on the infeed table, keep the pressure on the out feed table while pushing the work through from the infeed end. Hope this helps -- Julian
Drew Marsh27/11/2011 21:27:24
52 forum posts
26 photos
thanks all for your postings... think we could be on to a winner here, I have just been out to the workshop & put a straight edge from the outfeed table to the blade and it's set a lot higher!!!

Will let you know how I get on once thier reset.

Drew Marsh10/12/2011 22:39:01
52 forum posts
26 photos
Blades have now been set level with the out feed table and problem has been cured, however when using the thicknesser (underside of the table) the issues still persist....

Julian11/12/2011 11:08:12
556 forum posts
28 photos
You are not getting a bit of snipe on the ends are you Drew ? You generally need to alow a few inches on each end of the piece for where the wood leaves the machine, the middle bit being on a flat bed can't be anything but flat and parallel

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Robert Sorby
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact