By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

first vase hmmmm

laburnum attempt.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve J W29/10/2011 21:41:42
137 forum posts
9 photos
tried to do a deep laburnum vase, - i am going to cut the base off as the stump base was just to hold it in the chuck, still alot to learn, i t was hard to turn but i think this is as i hollowed against the grain?

Ralph Harvey29/10/2011 22:15:48
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Steve

It looks like a good first atempt, End grain is harder to cut but it will get easier with practice, what tools did you use gouges or scrapers ?

Ralph
Steve J W30/10/2011 06:26:55
137 forum posts
9 photos
hi,

The pic seems to of come out squashed - the vase is alot longer and thinner than shown, i used any tools i could , but i found the gouge kept ripping on the inside so mainly used a scraper and a Hamlet hollowing tool but even this seemed to tear chunks out, do you think i am practicing on the wrong wood?
Mark Sutton30/10/2011 09:18:07
193 forum posts
59 photos
Hi

For a first attempt this is very good, as Ralph said it is harder to cut in end grain, and Laburnam heart wood can be extremely hard to turn, however keep practising, you will get there.

Mark
Les Hetherington30/10/2011 09:50:23
145 forum posts
53 photos
Well done on your first vase Steve, and welcome to the hollowing out club mate.
Ralph is right, it does get easier with practice.
You should write the date on the bottom and look at it in one year after you have made a few more just to see how much you have progressed.

I don't think your practicing on the wrong wood Steve, i think that your cutting below the centre line as you go deeper and that's why your cutting chunks out.

Try this and see if it helps.
As you go deeper in your hollow form rase your toolrest above centre to keep your tool on the cutting centre line.
Let me know if this helps Les
Steve J W30/10/2011 13:15:56
137 forum posts
9 photos
thanks for all the replies, great advice les - i will try that with the next vase i do, do you chaps cut all your own wood or do you buy blanks, if so where do you get them from? steve.
BillW30/10/2011 18:31:05
711 forum posts
21 photos
Well done Steve, I like it.

As yet I have not had to buy any wood, cut some trees down this year, had some given, put the word out to friends and family.

Bill.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact