By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Christmas Complaint

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sam12/10/2011 22:44:40
386 forum posts
110 photos
Right , I am not old but am still feeling like a miserable git already !!!

Today is the 12th of october , yet I go in to my local co-op and low and behold they have bloody chocolate snowmen on display ...And my wife picked up a bloody advent calender ............... I have only just got over Easter

WHAT THE HELL is going on , christmas is nearly 3 months away .

Every year the adverts start earlier and earlier and they start trying to emotionaly blackmail trying to sell me plastic crap that my daughter must have or else the world will implode ....

All I want to do is cut of early on christmas eve to have a drink down the pub and wake up to christmas day .I dont want it rammed down my throat for 3 bloody months .

Deep breath , deep breathe , yes I have taken my tablets , my wife has me restrained , and NO i wont be dressing up like father christmas for your local village fete

But on a serious note , dont you think the seasonal advertising is getting a bit silly with how early it all starts .

Happy christmas to you all

Sam
BillW12/10/2011 22:57:10
711 forum posts
21 photos
Happy Easter Sam.
Have you booked your summer holidays yet and what have you planned for next years Halloween.

Don't bait me, I've felt this way for years.

On a lighter note around Xmas if I go in any public place I get children tugging on mothers dress saying " Look Mum, that man looks like Farther Christmas,

Make sure your a good boy I'm watching you.

Bill.
steve h13/10/2011 10:03:19
403 forum posts
128 photos

I always wondered what Santa did for the rest of the year - did not think he would a wood turner though!! (sorry Bill)

Yes Sam - I think it is a frustration of most adults with kids (and probably those without), I cant remember where we were the other day - but they had their Christmas Tree out - how bloody ridiculous is that?

Steve

steve h13/10/2011 10:05:39
403 forum posts
128 photos

Actually - have you seen the Christmas subscription offer flashing on this website on the left hand side - Merry Christmas - haven't even got to half term yet!

Steve

Simon Reeves13/10/2011 13:01:46
622 forum posts
227 photos
Glad it's not just me!!!!

My local surplus store has had Xmas cards in for over 6 weeks now - I know you're supposed to shop early but that's just plain ridiculous! On the plus side, my local radio station refuses point blank to play any carols or do any Crimbo dedications or requests until Dec 1st. Good on 'em I say, and I wish others would do the same (or is that just bah humbug??)

Simon
BillW13/10/2011 17:41:04
711 forum posts
21 photos
I'll take that as a compliment Steve, although I am only his apprentice, the hair has to go white before I can take charge of Rudolf.

Bill,
Spanner13/10/2011 18:01:13
16 forum posts
2 photos
Yup had to make a visit to local garden center,
The entire main hall was just a mass of boxes being unpacked & all 99.9% pure Chinese tatt.
& make me laugh as 99% of the people celebrating Christmas are not even Christians
Me i'll bring in my potted tree about mid Dec to celebrate the Pagan winter solstice

Then again I'm thinking of turning a load of decorations :}

Matt
Ron Davis13/10/2011 18:03:27
1619 forum posts
201 photos
I dont know what you are complaining about, I had my first catalogue in June

Club Christmas party set up and the club calendars sold out already.

Ron
sad sam13/10/2011 19:47:08
602 forum posts
238 photos
hi all
i had a request from my wife today she asked me to take her to our local strikes garden center as it converts to a christmas grotty shop today {yes its spelt right}
i am now officailly in the doghouse and told santa may not visit so im of out to partake of anything but hot christmas mead
i will soon be happy sam
George Arnold13/10/2011 20:41:12
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Something else to cheer you up over Christmas, DON'T have a car accident in our doctors surgery there is a notice.
IF YOU ARE SEEING THE DOCTOR TO DAY FOLLOWING A ROAD TRAFFIC ACCIDENT( NOW CALLED A ROAD TRAFFIC COLLISION) PLEASE NOTE THIS IS NOT COVERED UNDER THE NHS AND YOU WILL BE INVOICED FOR YOUR TREATMENT
Tell Santa to be careful on his journey delivering your present you have asked for
Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

George, HO! HO !HO!
Older Beginner13/10/2011 20:50:28
5 forum posts
I'm not sure what you are all talking about. One of our local stores had their Christmas stuff out more than five weeks ago. I nearly threw up on the spot. I think the economic situation is causing so much concern that sellers are getting desparate because they are expecting a slump in already slumped sales and so are trying everything to boost sales. Too bad we have to suffer for it.
dennis wake13/10/2011 22:37:11
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
if you think that this is early my daughter starts on the new years sail for the next years christmas puts them in a bin bag and i have to put them in the loft till next christmas and get them down with the decorations.
dennis
Big Al14/10/2011 07:09:30
1600 forum posts
73 photos
I used to work in a distribution centre where they would start getting their christmas stock from august 1st. By the end of august christmas stock was being picked and sent out to stores.

It's a bit weird shifting christmas stock during the summer when I hadn't even had my summer break.

The trouble is that a lot of retail relies on christmas sales to keep them going through the rest of the year.

Al
paul wagstaffe14/10/2011 08:23:24
107 forum posts
11 photos
Bah Humbug to the lot of you, I love Christmas and enjoy every moment of it. I cook the dinner, open the presents with my two boy's age 9 & 11and fall asleep in my chair in the afternoon watching a film that I have seen a 100 times before. I also have lights on the front of my house.
My village is very small(2 pubs, one shop and a post office) we have a candle light walk though the village on Christmas eve. I love it.

Yo Ho Ho Ho
Paul xx
steve h14/10/2011 08:48:18
403 forum posts
128 photos

I love Christmas to Paul - as I am sure the rest of the guys do - but I like my Christmas to start in December -

I appreciate your comments Al - I know that many of the retailers make the mass majority of their profit during the festive season - I think they could still wait until at least early November though -

Steve

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Triton
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact