By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Bigger chips than Mcains

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
david wells11/10/2011 19:56:58
24 forum posts
Hi everyone,being new to turning i decided to get myself to a demonstration at Turners Retreat at Harworth on the 8th Oct featuring Gerry Marlow.I wish i had not bothered,i found the vast majority of people that attended very rude and bigger chips than Mcains.Every piece Gerry turned out was either met with sarcasum or plain ignorance and baraking.i made Gerry aware of my presence and new to turning and he went out of his way to explain questions asked,at the break when everyone was fighting for their fill i decided enough of this thanks and departed,i commented to staff that if this is what wood turning his for some individuals its the last demonstration i will be attending.i hope that some of the persons responsible are reading this and see the effect they are having on newcomers.
I would just like to thank Mick Hanbury whom taught me at Turners Retreat and started me off on the woodturning trail.

Dave

Edited By david wells on 11/10/2011 20:00:36

Ron Davis11/10/2011 20:46:05
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Hi David

I was sorry to read about your recent experience at a turning Demo, I have never been to a club or demo where this has happened. I suggest that you contact the AWGB website andlook up a local club, I feel very sure that you will recieve a warm welcome there, just dont giveup!

As you have not filled in your profile i cannot say if you live any where near Bury St Edmunds, where I can guarantee a warm welcome and assistance withany problems

Ron
dennis wake11/10/2011 23:01:33
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Dave
as Ron has already said don't give up on a minority of morons that think they are better than the demonstration as they are not. if they were then they would be demonstrating and making the money some of the very good turners are making.if you are never any turning club then get your self along on ther club night and find out what they get up to and start turning with friends.
dennis
BillW11/10/2011 23:40:47
711 forum posts
21 photos
Very well said Dennis and excellent advice from Ron.
Is it Harworth in Nottinghamshire, I hope some of those present read this, there is really no need to be like this, there is enough trouble in this troubled world of ours, we should all show understanding and compassion to our fellow man.

I sincerely hope that we have shown you that there are some good people in this world.

Best Regards,
Bill.
david wells12/10/2011 08:35:18
24 forum posts
Thanks for such a great response,
I just felt there was no need for such behaviour and had to get it off my chest.I am at worksop nottinghamshire and have found no turning club within a 20mile radius,can anyone help?.
cheers,
Dave

Ralph Harvey12/10/2011 15:45:51
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
I too am sorry you have had such a bad experience at a demo.

I have demoed all over the place in the past and sorry to say you do get the odd person who just spoils it for everyone else but it sounds like you had more than your fare share of them,

Please dont let it put you off, rather i would suggest you attend other demos as i am sure you will find they are not all like that, try the woodworking show next year (hopefully it will be run again), there is more to see there and it is laid out better than most smaller demos

Good luck with your turning, being tought by Mick Hanbury is a great way to start, let us know how you get on and show us how you are doing with your turning.

Ralph
Derek Lane12/10/2011 19:40:50
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Dave welcome to the world of wood turning and don't be put off by a few. The majority of turners I know and have had the opportunity to get to know via forums and the like are very helpful.
Hope you keep it up and show some of your work on here
steve h13/10/2011 10:18:55
403 forum posts
128 photos

Hi David - much the same response as everyone else - I am up in Lancashire go to a great club - there is always good banter but nothing like what you appear to have been subjected to.

Don't let one bad experience put you off -

Steve

Steve J W13/10/2011 20:19:56
137 forum posts
9 photos
Hi David, i am also new to wood turning, a couple of months ago i went to a local club, i didnt know what to expect but i found everyone to be great and very helpfull, anyway that evening they had a talk by Richard Findley, he was great and was so helpfull explaining everything he did in such a way even i could follow him, everyone enjoyed the night, i am sorry for your experience but i feel this must of been a rare thing as every wood turner on here and who i have met seems to be very helpfull and very nice, steve.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Wood Workers Workshop
Craft Supplies
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact