By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Sheet material cutting aid

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul Jones 408/10/2011 21:26:47
45 forum posts
1 photos

I used to have a clip, sort of like a drawing board clip only about 5" long that when cutting large sheets, 8x4, you put it onto the cut edge to help keep the 2 cut halves together. This helped in cutting the rest of the sheet. by stopping the blade becoming jammed.

I've been googling for ages now but can't find one. I must be using the wrong description.

Anyone know where to buy one from.


BillW08/10/2011 22:50:51
711 forum posts
21 photos
come on now Paul, your a woodworker, make one.
I've never seen one but I can imagine it would be very handy, particularly for thin ply.
Big Al09/10/2011 07:05:50
1602 forum posts
73 photos
I know exactly what you mean as I bought one years ago from B&Q, and it is made from spring steel. I have had a look at it and the only marking on it is the word professional. I believe that it was sold as a carpenters aid, or something similar. But I cant find any by googling either.
Kevin Higgins09/10/2011 08:48:15
54 forum posts
5 photos
Hi Paul ,
I'm sure it was a gadget of the month a few years back in one of the woodwork mags , I'll have a look through them later and see if a supplier was mentioned . Gives me an excuse to disappear to the shed for a while ..
Kev H.
Richard Brown09/10/2011 09:22:19
12 forum posts
Hi Paul
Axminster used to sell them as a 'Sawing Clamp' ref 80501 (2006 catalogue). Not found in a search today. If you are desparate you could try ringing them tomorrow just in case they have one laying around that is not on their system 0800 371822.
Eric Harvey 109/10/2011 17:28:09
221 forum posts
81 photos
if you can`t find one,have you tried Bulldog clips,they work well to,regards,
Paul Jones 409/10/2011 18:30:07
45 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks for the replies guys.

I could make one Bill, but the spring steel version is much simpler and just clips onto your belt when not in use, and it suits sizes from 0-1 inch from memory.

I had thought of the Bulldog clip idea Eric, it would probably work out cheaper too.

Unless Kev can find out some info on them and I can find one at the right price, I reckon a large bulldog clip, around 5 -6 inch wide is my best option.


Kevin Higgins09/10/2011 20:45:55
54 forum posts
5 photos

Hi again ,
I've been checking and am glad to say my mind is still working , I knew I had it in a magazine somewhere . It was in THE ROUTER mag from feb/mar 2004.... I know... how did I remember it . It was called the Wilton saw clamp and at the time was available from Spectra Tools Ltd (phone 01694 670371 ).Being from
Ireland I dont know this company but anyway.. Now ...of course , this company might not exist anymore so I googled but could not find the item on their site . It retailed at £5.99 back then . I since have found it on another site GRAINGER.COM so Ive copied and pasted below for peoples info , they are out there but might not be too easy to get as we ( maybe I shouldnt generalise) are not into gadgets as much as the yanks!!!! anyway have a look below . Funnily enough , the country of origin is the U.K so surely you can get one .

WILTON Clamp, Saw

Saw Clamp, Throat Depth 2.75 Inches, Capacity 0.75 Inches, 4.25 x 3.0 x 1.5 Inches, Holds Cut Off Material Securely
Grainger Item # 6HH06
Price (ea.) $6.10
Mfr. Model # SC1
Ship Qty. 1
Sell Qty. (Will-Call) 1
Ship Weight (lbs.) 0.3
Usually Ships** While Stock Lasts
Catalog Page No. N/A
Country of Origin
(Country of Origin is subject to change.)
United Kingdom

Clearance Center Item
Paul Jones 409/10/2011 21:35:09
45 forum posts
1 photos

Well done Kev.

I searched for ages using things like, sheet clamp, panel clamp, plywood sheet clamp, etc, never thought of 'Sawing Clamp'

Found a couple


BillW09/10/2011 21:36:40
711 forum posts
21 photos
Excellent detective work Kevin, we are going to have to rename you Hercule Poirot.
A quick drawing of a home made one, you could make different sizes, all it needs is a small angle plate to spread the cut.

20mm square wood and 3mm ply.

Kevin Higgins09/10/2011 22:03:48
54 forum posts
5 photos
Hi ,
great to hear they are readily available , I work alone and I might pick one up myself , nothing worse than the sheet or panel splitting at the end . As for the detective work , most of it was old style , rummaging through my old mags although .... where would we be without the internet ??? Not just for researching but for friendly banter and the passing of experiences ( good and bad), that we all can learn from . Until next time .
Sam10/10/2011 22:06:55
386 forum posts
110 photos
Glad you have found what you are looking for , personaly I use these
If you are cutting anything delicate I just wrap a bit of cloth in the jaws and thy adjust from 1mm upwards , I got mine for less than a fiver . They are meant to be for sheet metal working . Better known as "sheet metal pliers / clamps
Kind regards sam

Edited By Sam on 10/10/2011 22:11:51

Alan T.12/10/2011 20:03:40
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hi Guys, I think the device to which you refer was known as 'the chippie's clip' originally. Cheers Alan T

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact