By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Skittles.

What to do with them.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Ron Davis05/10/2011 21:22:03
1607 forum posts
201 photos
Our club chair has contacts all over the place, one of which is with the local bowling alley. He has been given a shed load of redundant ten pins and we are wondering what to do with them.

We are thinking of giving one to each club member and asking them to make something with them, just what we leave to their imagination.

The ten pins are made of beech and built up in layers and the covered with a plastic coating, successive strikes - not by me... - has damaged the wood and separated the coating from the wood. Hence the need to replace them.

Any suggestions for our members? If not then the chairs neighbour has a wood burner

Ron
Ron Davis18/12/2011 15:29:44
1607 forum posts
201 photos
We had the competition last Monday at the December club night, we had 16 entries, each one deserving a prize. We aske members of the shop staff to judge with the entries numbered so they did not know who made them.

These are the entries

And this rather special pierced vase bby Mick the wood was the winner

Don Bennett came second with these geese

I came third with my woodturning teddy bear

It lives in the shop now, the box behind holds club leaflets
I do not want to cause any unrest or jealosy amongst forum members but I have to post a picture of my prize.........

Ron

Edited By Ron Davis on 18/12/2011 15:31:34

daveO18/12/2011 17:32:30
250 forum posts
32 photos
ron
how about if the bottom third was cut off and hollowed out into a bowl, and the top piece reduced in dia would it not make a "pestle and mortar" if thats what its called, you know the gizmo that hand grinds spices and the like. also those two snowmen behind your teddy aren't a million miles awayfrom the shape of the pins

just a thought
dave
Derek Lane19/12/2011 15:08:02
3204 forum posts
990 photos
Ron some nice peices turned from them skittles and some well deserved winners.

Don't use your prize as the friction will melt them
Julian19/12/2011 19:36:18
547 forum posts
28 photos
Hi Ron -- I have to say that you have some very talented turners at your club. Some very attractive pieces from what can only be described as scrap wood. -- Julian
George Arnold19/12/2011 21:56:49
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Ron
That is an excellent show of talent, the club put on a good show, that is one of the joys of turning, you can take what others call scrap and turn it into beutiful pieces of art,
Goodshow George.
Ron Davis20/12/2011 19:25:13
1607 forum posts
201 photos
Thanks everyone, it is surprising how many talented turners you can find when you start a club! I doubt that we will see any more of these pins as the man who donated them has found he can sell them on ebay!

Any ideas how best to use the prize?Other than the one suggested by my Grandson

Ron
George Arnold21/12/2011 20:24:27
1834 forum posts
191 photos

Ron
That's the trouble, i've seen it before nobody has any use for the scrap untill you show an interest in it , then they see the value of it, and the supply dries up, it's sods law.

George

Ps enjoy your prize, it's for sharing,

George

Edited By George Arnold on 21/12/2011 20:26:49

Ron Davis11/01/2012 19:34:25
1607 forum posts
201 photos
George, I thought i would take your advice and share the prize, well I did but not how I planned to. I ate the chocolate spanner and left the rest until my grandson came to visit.

We went shopping this morning and when we got back the Bl**dy dog had eaten the other three.

So far he seems ok, so I wont trouble the vet

Ron
George Arnold11/01/2012 19:57:16
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Ron
He must have taken up DIY, perhaps you should change it's name to locksmith,
"When you boot it up the back side watch it make a bolt for the door."

George
Ron Davis12/01/2012 16:18:17
1607 forum posts
201 photos
He got some dried fruit mix today, considering where they were he must have a mountain goat in his ancestry!

Ron

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Triton
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tormek
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact