By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Bunk beds

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mailee28/09/2011 20:29:32
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
I made a start this morning on a set of bunk beds. Back to my old favourite softwood. :roll: I marked out the posts and got the mortices cut.

Then I cut the rails and also the bearers that will carry the bed slats.
Next on to the rails for the head and foot boards.

I am using thin spindles on these hence the square holes.
I then got all of the spindles cut.

Finally by the end of the day I had a test fit of one of the headboards.

I finished work at 7pm but even so not a bad days work considering I had to pick up the wood too!
Mailee29/09/2011 21:39:19
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
I started some assembly today. First off was a tricky one, drilling holes into the posts to assemble one bed on top of another. Excuse the Heath Robinson contraption on my pillar drill but it seemed the best way of doing it.

It did work though and luckily I ended up with all of the holes in the right place and in line.

I would have normally done this on the lathe but the sections were too long for my 36" bed! :roll:
After turning up some dowels on the lathe I had everything ready for some assembly.

By the end of the day I had all of the head and foot boards assembled.

I did finally attach the rails to the lower bed but it was getting late and I didn't get any pics of it, Will show them tomorrow. :D
Mailee30/09/2011 21:36:11
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
I got on very well today. I cut the pocket holes in the rails for the bolts.

Then got the sides attached to the rails which will support the slats. I also made the centre rails which will be a loose mortice into the head and foot boards.

Then I built the steps and attached them with a dry fit of the beds.
Then off I went to fit the bathroom cabinets I had built for another customer.
Mailee03/10/2011 20:17:16
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
Today I got the first of the guard rails on the top bunk.

I also got the drawer frame made and mounted under the bottom bunk along with the end panels.

I got the drawers assembled today and in the clamps ready for the morning. :D
Mailee04/10/2011 19:41:27
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
Well I am getting there. I got the pull out started today by making the frame up.

I made the frame by using 1x4" and then cut in corner blocks to take the wheels. I then added a 1" bead around the bottom and then added slats. After adding runner blocks under the bed I had a trial fit

Using some off cuts to align the pull out I then added some stop blocks at the rear of the bed. Finally I had the pulll out finished and ready for making the front panels.

I also added the guard rail to the other side of the top bunk. Not a bad days work again. :D
Oddjob05/10/2011 16:52:38
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Brilliant work again Mailee! I suppose all of your practice on gates helped with the ends!

Richard
Mailee05/10/2011 18:59:16
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
Yes I guess your right Richard but read on at the bottom, I think I still need more practice.
Well here's todays update. I got the drawer boxes assembled today and ready for sanding.

I then got some timber laminated for the drawer fronts and started work on the pull out front that had been in the clamps overnight. By this afternoon I had the pull out front fitted and ready for a final sanding and a finish.

Now I will also come clean and tell you about my mistake! :whistle: When it came try the drawers in place with the pull out I found that I was 1" too low to fit them both below the bed! (don't ask, but I should have measured twice) ops: I got around this by making some feet for the bottom legs of the bed. Problem was then it made the beds 2" higher at the top so I had to cut down the top of the bottom bed posts to compensate. :roll: Now the bed head and foot boards were already built I couldn't cut it on the chop saw as usual so it was the hand saw and router to cut off the 'extra' I am pleased to say that it worked fine and looks ok but did cost me some time.
BillW05/10/2011 22:46:26
711 forum posts
21 photos
mmm, your to young for a senior moment I hope, maybe getting to confident but we all do it now and then

Go into a corner and have a good shout.

Looking good as usual Mailee.

Bill.
Mailee06/10/2011 20:41:17
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
I got the drawer fronts finished today and then started giving the beds a final sanding ready for staining.

Unfortunately my sander started playing up so I didn't get much sanding done.
Mailee11/10/2011 19:16:36
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
I finally got the finish on the beds but am still waiting for the drawer runners! :roll: I ordered them 5 days ago too! I sent them an e-mail last night and suddenly they have been dispatched this morning. :roll:

Delboy11/10/2011 20:02:24
36 forum posts
When I see things like this I am tempted to take up golf and forget my "woodworking". That looks a cracking job Mailee
Mailee12/10/2011 22:34:05
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
Oh no! Don't do that Delboy, I am sure you are capable of work to surpass this. You should have seen some oof the things I turned out when I first started! Lets just say there was a lot of chipboard and screws. LOL. Anyway thanks for the nice comments.
Well today the drawer runners finally arrived and I got the drawers fitted along with the drawer fronts. I finished turning the buttons to hide the bolt heads too so everything is ready to fit it tomorrow. Here are the final pics before it is fitted.
Sinc taking this pic I have stained the inside of the hand holes too.
Newbie_Neil13/10/2011 14:56:15
43 forum posts
Hi Mailee,

Congratulations, it looks excellent.

Do you have a link for the runners please?

Thanks,
Neil

Mailee13/10/2011 20:02:38
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
The runners are great but the delivery was 'iffy' it took 6 days!
I delivered and fitted the bunk beds today and the customer was very impressed with them I am glad to say. Here are a couple of pics of them.

They already had the mattress for the pull out but have to buy the other two yet.
It was pretty warm in there even with the windows open, but it was worth the effort.
Newbie_Neil14/10/2011 12:11:01
43 forum posts
Hi Mailee,

Well done, they look even better now they're finished.

Also, thank you for the link. Do you need a trade account or can anyone use them?

Thanks,
Neil

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Robert Sorby
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Chippendale
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact