By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Absolute Novice - Working WIth Wood

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Kevin Parker19/09/2011 12:53:20
1 forum posts
Hi

Retiring next year and would love to make good use of my time. Can anyone suggest a real 'novice' book where I can start to pick up a few hints and tips? Any advice gladly rec'd.
sad sam19/09/2011 16:02:18
602 forum posts
238 photos
hi kevin
before you buy i would suggest that you visit your local libruary and brouse through what they have then decide on what you you would like to do then revisit the site there will be plenty of advice then available to you
we will be able to advise on tooling as well as projects and books and drawings
goodluck sadsam
Roger Provins19/09/2011 16:40:54
23 forum posts
We've all been tempted I'm sure but when the time comes to buy tools/machinery don't buy cheap ones. You'll only regret it later when you find out why they were cheap. Ask on here for opinions before you buy.

Good luck and I know you'll enjoy your retirement and the hobby!
Gerrybhoy19/09/2011 17:03:23
104 forum posts
55 photos

Hi Kevin,

Same answer as the previous guys have given you.
Read up on the various areas of woodwork - turning, furniture etc - and decide what you want to concentrate on.
Then shop about for different tools & machines, but take advice before you buy them.
The guys on her have a vast amount of knowledge between them and will keep you right.

Choose wisely, and you'll enjoy it for many years to come.
paul wagstaffe19/09/2011 19:23:35
107 forum posts
11 photos
Hi Kevin, I too am a bit of a novice with this wonderful hobby, I love working with wood and don't mind what i am making, from a box to keep my screws in to a router table (current project) I have found you tube to be a great educational tool have a look and subscribe to these.

http://www.youtube.com/user/stevinmarin

http://www.youtube.com/user/TeenWoodworker

http://www.youtube.com/user/AppJourneyman

Regards
Paul

BillW19/09/2011 21:42:56
711 forum posts
21 photos
Hi Kevin and Welcome.
Unfortunately I can't help you with books but I will second all the good advice you have been given.
My advice would be to thoroughly learn to use hand tools before you move on to buying any machinery, once you have some books that is.
Practice making joints then choose a simple project to put into practice what you have learnt.

Maybe a bit premature but enjoy your retirement and your new hobby, creating something out of wood is very rewarding, there are so many branches to woodworking (had to get that one in again) that you will never tire once you have the bug.

Best regards,
Bill.

Edited By BillW on 19/09/2011 21:43:24

Simon Reeves20/09/2011 13:07:31
622 forum posts
227 photos
Hi Kevin, add my welcome to the forum. I can only echo all the advice you have been given by the other regulars. It depends a lot on what woodwork you want to do for anything more specific.

For general woodwork, learn how the various joints are made and what they are used for and you won't go far wrong. I would also add don't skimp on preparing the timber for whatever projects you make. It's all too easy to buy some wood from one of the DIY sheds, and then to use it without making sure it's straight and square. If you don't it can be a recipe for disaster and frustration as your carefully cut joints make something that doesn't quite fit, or refuses to square up properly. Been there, done that, don't do it any more!

For woodturning, there are several current threads (within the last couple of weeks) that talk about how to start.

Whatever you do, don't forget the golden rules:
1. Measure twice (or more usually, several times ), cut once.
2. Wear proper safety specs when you use power tools.
3. Keep your tools sharp.
4. Enjoy it all and have fun!
5. Post pictures of your creations.

Simon

Delboy20/09/2011 17:37:00
36 forum posts
Agree with all the previous comments but Simon raises a very good point regarding preparation. As he says, been there, done that, It is all too easy to rush and/or buy poor quality timber from the cheaper outlets because it is cheap.
Good luck

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Triton
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact